Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

It's System Of A Down time! With their politcal undertones and their nu-metal overtones, they are the leading political band in this country. Toxicity is, quite possibly, one of their most popular CDs. I, however, and not bias to any of their CDs. I love all of them! Let's break down the review now.

01. Prison Song - a false start. Just open on all the instruments. Followed by a somewhat fast intro. Serj whispers "They're trying to build a prison." About this time, you will smile because you realize it's gonna be a rockin' CD! Of course, the political message here is obvious. They are trying to build a prison for us all. Also, he mentions the irony behind the fact that drug research shows treatment should be increased and police decreased. All of SOAD's facts are accurate, trust me. 02. Needles - this isn't my favorite song from the CD. I'm being honest here, it's a good song, but I dunno. It doesn't appeal to me. I guess they are using allegories when they say "I cannot grow until you eat the last of me, oh, when will I be free?" I suppose they are talking about the government. But, eh, just not my favorite song. 03. Deer Dance - this, however, is my favorite! The Armenian quad's musical ability is obivous here. Excellent intro with a really awesome guitar leading up to the first verse. "Invisible police" "presence sponsored fear" that is Orwellian sounding. Somewhat 1984. Big Brother, know what I mean? 04. Jet Pilot - I was kicking it, listening to SOAD. Deer Dance was over, I was in amazement. The BAM! "Wired were the eyes of a horse on a Jet Pilot!" It just starts. No intro. Deer Dance ends, Jet Pilot starts. I fell out of my chair. Honestly, this is a rocking song. I don't know what the message is here, but it is good. Really good. Serj's voice is awesome. 05. X - really good intro. Well, not really good. But I like the guitar. Also, it has good lyrics and it has Serj. Serj is explanation enough. He makes SOAD. And he is really good on this song. 06. Chop Suey! - really nice acoustic guitar intro which leads up to a good electric and a bass. This is their radio friendly song, so no cursing. But that's not bad. It's an excellent song, really good break down toward the end. This is, I don't know how to say it. This is a piece of art. 07. Bounce - ha! This is another one of those songs that just bam! It starts! But it's really good, just like Jet Pilot. 08. Forest - excellent is the first word that comes to mind. "You made the weapons for us all, just look at us now!" That is a very powerful sentence right there. 09. ATWA - a good acoustic. I play this from time to time on my guitar. It's a good song. It's deceptive. Real nice and gentle. Then boom! "You don't care about how I feel!" It's like a small explosion of good music! 10. Science - plainly stating how science has failed us. I'd have to agree. "Science fails to recognize the single most, potent element of human existence. Letting the reigns go, to the unfolding, is faith." 11. Shimmy - I like this song a lot. The lyrics are strong, really. But it's really cool. I love the way Serj says "I wanna shimmy, shimmy, shimmy, until the break of dawn. Yeaaah!" Serj's voice is in compliance with the music. 12. Toxicity - another song I enjoy playing as well as listening to. Lyrically powerful, musically powerful, vocally powerful. That trifecta makes this song amazing. 13. Psycho - this tends to be a song I skip. Not because it's bad, but it's not my favorite. I've little to say about this song. It's worth listening to, but not my style. 14. Aerials - really good! I saw an interview about the meaning of this song. From Shavo Odadjian "This song is about a kid in a wheel chair looking up at a guy on a tight rope at a circus and all the other high flying acts. All the while wishing he could do that."

This is their best CD to a lot of people, like I said. But I love all of their CDs. Some of the best songs would have to be Prison Song, Deer Dance, and Aerials. Those three songs make this CD worth buying. The only thing I don't like is it does tend to be somewhat repetitive sometimes. But it doesn't bother me too much.