Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

This is overall their best album. The Armenian quartet really shines through in this album and great overall performance. Awesome drumming by John which shows best in "Toxicity" and good guitar by Daron with some great added effects. The sound is amazing and the great thing is the way they blend heavy metal with Armenian folk and some funk which results in loud but catchy music.

As always, their lyrics are political. Serj really shines vocally here and this is his best performance to date. His voice is so unique and I love his ability to bend it and get different pitches and sounds. He can go from high-pitched to a low growl just like that. In this album, the songs are much deeper than Mezmerize and Hypnotize and much heavier but credit to Serj who is key to their success.

01. Prison Song - my favorite song on the album. Hard rock but has deep political vocals. 02. Needles - hilarious lyrics. I believe it's about people leeching and taking advantage of you. 03. Deer Dance - another good song and one of my favorites. Deep lyrics as well. 04. Jet Pilot - one of the weaker songs on the album but still an okay song. 05. X (multiply) - although it's just a filler, I like it. Although it sounds like something they just whipped up in five minutes, it's very catchy. 06. Chop Suey - 'nuff said. One of their best songs ever. Another highlight and favorite. 07. Bounce - hilarious lyrics. A filler song but a good filler. 08. Forest - one of the weaker songs of the album in my opinion. Just an okay song. 09. ATWA - one of my favorites. Very heavy and deep lyrics. 10. Science - I didn't like it as much but after listening to it a few more times, I got used to it and is now one of my favorites. 11. Shimmy - catchy, catchy, catchy. I love it. 12. Toxicity - one of the best songs on the entire album. John shines here. 13. Psycho - another very catchy song. Fast, hard and great to just rock to. 14. Aerials - one of their greatest ever. Can be compared to ATWA and is heavy and deep. Overall, this is a masterpiece. I recommend this to anyone who has just started listening to SOAD and also big fans as well. Highlights of the album: Prison Song, Deer Dance, Chop Suey, ATWA, Science, Shimmy, Psycho and Aerials. The rest are pretty good as well. If this album were stolen, I'd buy two more.

wingedgopher
    easily soads best album. hynotize is the second best but even that doesnt compare. toxicity is one of the best albums to come out in a long, long time.
    randomguitarist
    dude.....seriously?.....hypnotize? that album only has 2-3 decent tracks.....and have u heard their self-titled cd? that and toxicity are the best...but toxicity cant compare to the previous self-titled....toxicity better compares to steal this album! which was also great....and speaking of being a fan since the begining..... have u been a fan since the begining;when the self-titled came out?cause most people that have rather dislike mezmerize/hypnotize.....i dont hate it....just not as good....(huge reason being darons singing; i mean i like him on P.L.U.C.K. and needles but completely taking lead vocals in a song...? come leave the singin to the talent; Serj
    elmo760
    I think this albums is the best.Hypnotize is killed because of darons singing. I like the song where he didnt sing as much like needles. Their newer albums cant compare the older 1ns.I have all of their cd's and i agree with randomguitarist^.Daron should stop trying to take over serj job of singing and go back to the kick ass guitarist he is.