Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

My belief is that this is one of the best Metal/Rock/Punk albums ever created. Produced by Rick Rubin, founder of such works as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, this album is already a timely classic and loveable. My favourite song on this album would be either Deer Dance with it's loveable riff, baton courtesies and rubber bullet kisses, or Toxicity with its Software Version 7.0, awesome drums in the chorus and 6/8 timing. X kinda annoyed the hell out of me, so I'm taking away a point. Still, great guitar from both Daron and Shavo, brilliant drums from John.

Lyrically, it is a masterpiece, everything from the informative Prison Song "The percentage of Americans in the prison system, prison system, has doubled since 1985," to the angry and defiant Science "Science has failed our world, science has failed our Mother Earth." Some lyrics aren't such brain waves like in Needles "Pull the tapeworm out of your ass." Serj Tankian's sound is a sort of shout/angelic chorus. It can either be screaming like in Chop Suey, or beautiful in Chop Suey. But all in all, another lyrical and vocal triumph for System Of A Down.

This was the first album I bought by System Of A Down. From that I bought every other album they made as well. This album inspired me to learn guitar (mainly Deer Dance, and Suite Pee on self-titled album). I love the in your face antics of the music, the random lyrics like in Bounce, where Daron shouts Pogo! over and over and over again. The most impressive songs would be Prison Song, Deer Dance, Jet Pilot, Chop Suey!, Forest, ATWA, Science, Toxicity, Aerials and Arto (the hidden track in Aerials, played by System. It is an Armenian Funeral Song). All in all, buy this album. Don't steal it.

The Gladstones
    Dude I can't believe you don't like Needles! It's one of the best tracks on the album (but 'Science' is better)!!! Peace out!