Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

I personally enjoyed this album. I believe it showed listeners that a band can be both heavy and melodic. Toxicity was System Of A Down's second album. Their first after their self-titled debut. Daron Malakian and Serj Tankian did all of the writing and composing. System Of A Down, I don't believe, fit into a genre. Most people try to classify them as nu-metal. I do not find this so. I find System Of A Down to be nothing more or less than System Of A Down. The sound of Toxicity was a changed sound from their self-titled album. All elements of the band blended well to make a full sound. The only problem I had with this album's sound would be at some points in some songs it almost becomes "thrashy". I personally don't enjoy it.

I love the lyrics these men produce. Daron and Serj are lyricists that put philosophy and interpretation behind their words. Some songs are blunt. An example would be Prison Song. They're obviously ntalking about the over running of today's prison system, as it states in the song. But the song "Aerials" is in need of deep interpretation. Only Daron or Serj could give a positive meaning to it. Serj being the lead singer has his strong and weak points in vocalism. His range is very middle which is good for the kind of music they play. But when he tries to sing higher he seems to over produce the sound sometimes. Daron, who sings harmonies, is a very talented vocalist. He has a high screechy voice at times which adds emphasis to the song when he screams. He can also travel lower into the middle range and add very pleasnt harmonies to the meoldies Serj is singing. I have no problems at all with the lyrics or vocals.

This album is wonderful. I wouldn't even be able to begin comparing it to anything else anyone has done. I believe the most impressive songs on this album are Jet Pilot, X, and Aerials. I love most everything about this album. Like I stated the only thing I dislike about it is its reoccuring thrashy-ness. If this album were ever lost, stolen, or broken, I would most certainly buy it again.

GiantRaven
    It's an ok album but some of the tracks are completely forgettable and their are much better bands out there
    Pidgequin
    I think that Daron should stick with more of the screaming parts like in B.Y.O.B. otherwise he should just let Serj do all the work, plus Daron's haircut is kinda fagly.