Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

The original album artwork and packaging was done by Daron Malakian's father, Vartan Malakian. System is one of rock's most daring and innovative bands. Their music is unbelievable with great chemistry between each band member. They mostly play Hard Rock. Actually, they only play hard rock. They make innovations by going head on against the government with their lyrics, especially in the song "Prison Song". They're really just making their own version of the Declaration of Independence in that song. On this CD, Daron rarely does guitar solos. The only guitar solo is in the song "Psycho".

System Of A Down is most known for their heaviness against the United States Government and about the American society. When I got this album, I had no idea what the lyrics meant. For example, in the song "Shimmy", the first verse lyrics are as follows: "Education, fornication, in you are, Go/Education, subjugation, now you're out, Go/Education, fornication, in you are, Go/Don't be late for school again boy." But they have many good songs, too. The album is named after the song Toxicity and consists of the ever popular smash hit "Chop Suey", which is was on UG's Top 100 for a long time. Really, the freaky lyrics go together perfectly with Daron Malakian's uncanny skills as a guitarist. Vocalist Serj Tankian has a very, powerful voice. His Armenian accent is sometimes heard through his vocals, which goes great with their songs, which have a Spanish feel.

It doesn't compare to any other album that I've heard so far. The closest I can think of is, well, nothing. This CD has a wide variety of song feels. Obviously, the most popular song on this CD is "Chop Suey". Personaly, my favorite song is "Needles", but I doubt you care about my opinion. I love the heaviness of the songs, and how they take songs that sound like they're from Spain or something and make them rock. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another one of SOAD's CDs because I already have this one on my iPod. If I didn't have and iPod, yes, I would get Toxicity again.

Metal_freek
    one of their best albums in my opinion. i luv the song psycho its sweet. if u get a chance watch the live video they did it at ozzfest.
    DaliLama
    A contemporary classic, for sure. For the person that said they needed to look deeper into the song Aerials, I've this book called Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, by Shunryu Suzuki, in which he talks about going to Yosemite and seeing a large waterfall that reminded him of our human lives, how we are individuals as droplets falling but we are "one in the river, and one again after the fall". He also talks about ideas of "big mind" and "small mind" and that when you stop using small mind you free yourself from fear and worry and such. When I first hear Aerials I knew that Serj had to have read this book because it was just too big of a coincidence. It's quite old and might be out of print but you should look for it, it might just change your life!
    Shib
    This is probably there best album.... there self titled and steal this album where good also... to bad no more new stuff for 4 years
    WhiteLightning
    djrivinoja wrote: daron has a madd voice, hav u heard him singing in kill rock n roll, its amazing , especially in the chorus and in the intro humming, and plus he does bring some uniqueness to the band, so dont bag him out!
    yea i agree, hes not bad at all, its something different so "DEAL WITH IT"
    Shib
    Released: Sep 4, 2001 Genre: Rock Tones: Angry, Intense, Cathartic, Cerebral, Visceral, Aggressive, Manic, Confrontational, Rousing, Passionate, Fiery, Energetic Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal Number Of Tracks: 14 says it right in the review... its not nu-metal!
    BulletCrazy
    Daron has been my idol as a guitarist and a singer since I first heard them in 1999. Daron, I salute you.