Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

The band's sound and music itself is really good, and original. These guys are one of the few bands that have their own sound. I don't think that there is a story attached to the album, but most of the songs are politically charged, but unless you really listen to the lyrics, you can't tell. The music style is very original and different, as I said they have their own sound, which is probably one of the reasons that this was such a big hit, you might call this album alt. metal.

The lyrics don't make sense to most people, you have to really listen to them to understand what they mean. For the most part the lyrics go along with the music, especially in the songs Shimmy, Chop Suey, ATWA, and Prison Song. The singer skills are amazing, there's no limit to Serj's voice, whether it's high pitched, a deep growl or yelling, he can pull anything off, and Darron's backing vocals add a lot to the music.

Compared to the other albums, it's probably their best. They improved from the self titled album, the lyrics have a lot more meaning, and the music itself is much more impressive (especially Darron's guitar work). The most impressive songs in my opinion are, ATWA, Chop Suey, Toxicity, Aerials, Needles, and Shimmy. I love the variety of different types of songs, and that there isn't any rules for SOAD and what type of music they make, and to be honest there's nothing I hate about this album, I don't like the song Nullify, but that; s the only part of it that I don't like. If it were lost or stolen, I would most definetly buy another copy of this cd, it is a classic in my mind, and I'm glad I heard aerials 3 years ago and decided to buy it.

EMT911
    I like SOAD. Great CD. Now, if we could just get them to stop whining about politics.
    Greenday #1
    Best SOAD album, glad i bought it. Now, if we could just get EMT911 to stop whinging about nothing.
    Gibson0726
    Love the cd but what I really came here to say was...what the ****, this and the review of 311's DTOM are way delayed.
    Glassprison_31
    Defanately SOAD's best album its got basically everything to it from as heavy as aerials to as fast as chop suey! its juts so awsome...enough said.
    -metalhead-
    J C wrote: DeMoNhUnTeRuLeS : Daron can sing some songs like B.Y.O.B but he should deffinatly not sing the entire song. Just stick with guitar and backup singing dude I agree. It works sometimes like in Lost In Hollywood, but on the whole Serj has a much better (and cooler) voice. Self titled is better than Toxicity tho.
    Lost in hollywood and Lonely day are dDarons songs without a doubt...
    Hammett_4
    classic album, better than m/h in my opion. It equals selftitled, maybe steal this album is better.