Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

First off I'll start by saying that my impression of this System of a Down's music is great. They are one of if not the most original nu/alt metal bands to have ever came out. Toxicity is another strive forward from their previous Self titled album, which was amazing itself, but, you can really hear their sound evolve on this album, especially lyrically. It is a very politically charged cd, with a few exceptions of course with songs like "Bounce", "Psycho" and "Shimmy", and like the previous album, it does have somewhat of a Middle eastern type of feel to it, mixed with the heavy Nu metal style low tuned guitar riffs and psychotic, melodic, and just plain wierd vocals that Serj Tankian always delivers, it is one of my favorite albums I own, and I would reccomend it to anyone getting into System of a Down.

The lyrics as always are great. Serj and Darron can write some really good lyrics together, for example "ATWA", "Toxicity", and "Chop Suey" are all examples of great songwriting, and the more simplistic fun lyrics of "Psycho", or "Bounce". The lyrics compliment the music very well. That is one of my favorite parts about SOAD is the way Serj can change pitches and tones of his voice a lot to make the emotion of a song very aggresive, deppresed, or humorous. Serj is a IMO a good singer, I'm not gonna say he's amazing, but, what makes up for that is his originality. You can't find an original voice that stands out like his everday.

Does it compare to the other albums? Yes, it does, in fact it is one of their best if not their best albums(S/T and Mezmerize are right up there). The most impressive songs are definetly, "Needles", "Deer Dance", "Chop Suey", "Toxicity", "ATWA", "Science", and "Aerials", those are just the MOST impressive songs, the rest are still awesome. What I love about this album is that SOAD seems to have their sound down perfect and to a science in this album, I pretty much love everything about it, and don't really hate anything. If it were stolen or lost I'd definetly get it again!

SnowMan1
    Chop Suey! might be a little over rated but it is still very good. Forest and ATWA kicks way more ass.
    livinginmisery
    Lets rate the songs 1. Toxicity 2. Chop Suey 3. Aerials 4. Forest 5. Needles 6. Atwa 7. Science 8. Prison Song 9. Psycho 10. Schimmy 11. Deer Dance 12. Bounce 13. X 14. Jet Pilot