Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

For me, System of a Down's sound is hard to categorize. For example, most say it's numetal, but it is too fast, heavy, and rebellious. Plus, the lyrics aren't direct most of the time. I could say it's thrash metal, but System writes short songs with no solos. It incorporates Armenian folk, but it isn't folk metal. I guess that they are simply unusual metal, and I love it. This album is the best showcase of their uniqueness and awesomeness, and is a classic for these reasons and more.

Overall, the lyrics are pretty cool. They are less repetitive than on their first album, but they still don't necessarily make sense. For example, Serj sings/yells at you to wake up, put on some make up, hide the scars and fade the shake up, leaving the keys on the table, creating another fable, and then tells you trust in his self righteous suicide in "Chop Suey!" However, even with this kind of weirdness, the lyrics jibe with the music, and they make the songs that much more interesting. In my opinion, Serj has always been a fantastic vocalist, and employs a lot of interesting vocal styles in the music. For example, he sometimes sings in a somewhat hypnotic, if not slightly whiny, voice, then he might simply just yell at you, scream at you growl at you, etc. I also like how Daron (the guitarist) adds a visceral, Corey Taylor style growl to the songs. Ultimately, this category is quite strong, even if the lyrics don't always make sense.

This is SOAD's best album, period. It has the best lyrics, the best (and heaviest) riffs, and quite simply, the best songs of any album they have ever done. Plus, there is not a single song I fail to have warm feelings for, and I think this is one of the greatest albums of all time. So, I really don't think there is what I would call a favorite song on the album, as I love them all. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would immediately get another copy. 'Nuff said.

silentpsycho15
    sum_english_guy wrote: daron needs 2 shut up... m/h wud rock without his shitty vocals
    Daron's vocals don't bad at all on the albums , but "RAW" and live he sounds like shit im not even hating on him its just the truth