Toxicity review by System of a Down

• Released: Aug 27, 2001
System of a Down: Toxicity

SOAD is a alternative metal band... So I naturally like it. Many people would consider them Nu-Metal, but alot of the themes relating to the band aren't necessarily Nu-Metal. SOAD has many different things you can pick out, such as the ability to take a simple, common three chord riff, and add it into every song... But somehow make it sound totally different, every time. "Toxicity" takes a few steps away from the bands hyper-aggressive, and more straightforward debut, "System Of A Down". And trades the aggression for more complexity and melody, examples are the albums leading singles "Toxicity", and "Chop Suey". SOAD has a distinctive tone, heavy guitar riffs, genius melodies, and a dark edge that many Alternative Metal bands share. Anyone into Nu Metal, or Modern Metal should definitely check them out. However, I would really like to note, that the songs tend to get repetitive if listened to constantly so that's the only reason the sound gets a 9 instead of a 10.

Serj (Lead Vocals) and Daron (Guitar/Backing Vocals) both collaborate on "Toxicity" to make complex, but very interesting topics and lines. Serj takes his vocal range to newer heights and shows us just what he can belt out, always on time, always on pitch. Also, "Toxicity" marks a point in SOAD's career that introduces less screaming, and more soft, personal lyrics. SOAD's lyrics are sometimes highly political, religious and even ridiculous at times, but everything seems to pan out great when thrown into the mix. However, they can at times, seem unorthodox, and not welcome.

"Toxicity" from SOAD is a fantastic release and a memorable mention for their career. It takes them into the mainstream rock scene, and shows everyone that you don't have to revolutionize to be remembered. I personally love "X", "Toxicity", "Science", and "Jet Pilot". I have nothing to dislike about the album besides, its sometimes repetitive nature after long listenings. I bought it from iTunes so if my iPod was stolen or something then I would be kinda screwed, but it would be recoverable online. Fantastic album, hands down.