The Slider review by T. Rex

• Released: Jul 21, 1972
T. Rex: The Slider

T.Rex, a glam rock brainchild of guitarist/singer Marc Bolan and percussionist Mickey Finn, began their acsent to superstardom with 1971's Electric Warrior. With The Slider, however, Rex became prophets for a new musical movement that took the UK and North America by storm in the early 1970s. The album continues with same ideals and instrumentation of Electric Warrior, but is more developed in itself. Bolan complied this record only months after the release of Warrior, so similarities between the two should be expected and cherished.

Bolan's wispy vocals atop the rest of the band's chunky rhythms allow for a different feel than one would expect. The quirky lyrics in songs such as Metal Guru, Spaceball Ricochet, and Ballrooms of Mars are pure rock genius. Bolan as a writer allows no barres to be put on himself creatively, and that gives the listeners the chance to experience something that is missing from a lot of rock music, a chance to laugh, cry, and enjoy being around the music.

The Slider is the creme de la creme of glam rock albums, and easily the strongest T Rex album. Ballrooms of Mars, Metal Guru, and Baby Boomerang are easily the standout tracks - but I recommend listening to every song in series to get the full effect. I purchased this album on CD in tandem with the Rabbit Fighter bonus disc. Rabbit Fighter is chalk full of unreleased acoustic demos and alternate songs that did not make the album. I highly recommend The Slider not just as a great glam rock record, but as a landmark in the history of music.

Moondog Prophet
    check it. best record in my 3000 vinyl collection cover photo's by Ringo and the influx of the enjoy cocaine t-shirt phenomenon. maybe three songs that dud but exchange with electric Warrior's 3 great songs and add Ride a White Swan stick it on shuffle background with your lady's naked ass get the bonus track ed
    Scott O
    I laugh, cry, and enjoy being around the music when I eat magic mushrooms.
    Dragon Master
    Best album they've made. Easily. Their albums have always been amazing, but this is truly rock and roll.
    bobettofox
    I agree, very underatted in the US, I'm the only one I know who's heard a song by T. Rex besides Bang a Gong.
    scorpio2billion
    How in the HELL does this album have a 6.2 user rating? Ridiculous. People who have never heard it must be voting...
    synyster86
    Lol when i read T.rex i thought tripp eisen had released a solo album. Which would be tragic