Louder Now review by Taking Back Sunday

• Released: Apr 25, 2006
Taking Back Sunday: Louder Now

The sound of the album continues the bands previous style, but comes across as a more clean-cut and produced finish than their previous efforts, most probably due to the band's move to the major label Warner. The band took a much longer period to record the album, and implemented numerous innovative techniques, including those pioneered by other bands, like the splitting up of chords into single notes to record, as previously used by Def Leppard. There is a mix of distortion, acoustic flavouring and crunch with the album, and a wider range of instruments have been used, such as the tambourine and xylophone in the song 'Divine Intervention'. There are some ground sounding parts to the album, with the intro to 'Miami' and then the very decent solo toward the end, and the fast lead guitar in 'Spin' being favourites. The dual-singing approach that the band have used in the past is still present and I was particularly glad that this had survived as I think it's one of Taking Back Sunday's best features.

The lyrics are of usual quality, but I thought that they could have been expanded in some places, the use of a repeating line for many choruses make some tracks seem a little dull, such as 'Twenty-Twenty Surgery', 'Miami' and 'What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost?' There are great lines in the lyrics though, and I'm sure fans of TBS will find depth in most songs. The lyrics fit with the music well, and the blending of singing from both Adam and Fred means that the band can pretty well squeeze any lines in, but nothing on the album seems uncomfortable or forced.

Overall, I would rate this as my favourite TBS album so far, but I'm sure many purists might disagree. Compared to many hyped albums from artists which have under-performed or not lived up to expectations, Louder Now is a commendable performance from the band, especially due to their transistion to a major label. Stand out tracks from the album for me are 'What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost?', 'MakeDamnSure', 'Twenty-Twenty Surgery', 'Spin' and 'Miami', but it's definitely worth buying the album to get the whole feel. I love a lot of the guitar work on the album; I was captivated by the pretty simplistic but effective verses for 'MakeDamnSure' and I think the blend of genres within the album makes it much more versatile than many other contemporary bands - there is jazzy guitar and chilled out harmonics on songs which are alongside loud, stomping, distorted and catchy tracks with pretty impressive solos. The band have not lost their edge whilst adapting to a more mainstream position.

theliveswelead
    There is only a few things missing from TBS that would make them as great as they were a few years back. Two of them are John and Ed. Fuck it, I said it. John Nolan is one talented mother-****er, and it's a shame they all couldnt solve their problems and make some more awesome music. Not at all saying that this album is bad, that is not true at all. Im glad to see a resepctable band like TBS is leading the way into the new genres of punk. We need to let the whiners die out and bring back real guitar sounds. Yeah, yeah, everyone says processors are the new "ear" of music, but holy shit! Does anything beat a sweet tube-amp (which Fred always uses on their small tours) Keep punk simple, support art, not industry. Buy small, spend less, and for ****s sake, support your local scene!!!!! Music should not be left up to the professionals.
    kryptonite22
    better than the last one, but not as good as TAYF. some songs are good, others are bad. soundwise its quite different. anyone else hate the way the drums have been recorded? they sound awful.
    tomwm1
    ohio_emokid wrote: its "Set Phasers to Stun" and it's on Where You Want to Be. i think it's better than tell all your friends. and whenever my mom gets home i'm going to go get louder now. =D
    thanx dude 4 answerin ma question
    rahbee33
    hey all i can say for everybody that has grouped them with shitty emo-punk-pop bands is that they have the live show to back it up. personally for me, this album puts them more in the rock category with a band like the strokes.
    mgilesfan27
    I was the first person to buy it at my local walmart so i couldn't wait brilliant songs, but for five hours straight i just listened to nothing but makedamnsure and then i took an hour break and now two hours stright it is such a good song
    Thania
    i think louder now is a whole lot better than where you want to be [quote...comes across as a more clean-cut and produced...[/quote]i think why tayf is so great is because it is raw, and i miss that
    -Draaknor
    Sweet i'm gonna listen to this new cd on my family drive to church in my moms new mini-van
    xDanx
    wow a great cd. I bought it and i listened to it non-stop. It was over before i even knew it. A lil bit short, but overall a great cd. a solid 9 in my view.
    kevm0theproject
    If bands are always playing the same materials they will always stay the same and never progress any further in the music world. Now that TBS has branched out it shows that they are willing to become better musiscians and continue to develope their music album after album.If they continued to crank out the same material it would become tiresome now its like a whole new band with lots of variety.
    rahbee33
    there wont be another TAYF because that tbs isnt together anymore. i really like the new album. the solo in "miami" is pretty good. its no eddie van halen, but still. fred is the man.
    rahbee33
    i totally agree with theliveswelead. with the exception of the professionals comment, if they are making a living doing it aren't they professionals?
    IamAMachine
    of course there isn't going to be another Tell All Your Friends because thats not what TBS wants anymore. If you guys want another Tell All Your Friends then go make it yourself.
    Friar Tuck
    WYWTB is still my favourite TBS album, I prefer Louder Now the least. But it has some brilliant highlights - and it's refreshing to hear some pure rock..I think they've shaken off the emo tag with Louder Now.
    ibanezbass27
    i agree with everyone...there wont be another tell all your friends but this album is still great
    PinkIsCool
    It's good, but it still can't touch "Tell all your friends". Excellent reiviews, btw.
    ohio_emokid
    its "Set Phasers to Stun" and it's on Where You Want to Be . i think it's better than tell all your friends. and whenever my mom gets home i'm going to go get louder now. =D
    tomwm1
    i herd the new 1 today.i heard another 1 can u help me out and tell me what song it is and what album.''Im sorry to be solo im sorry to be so alone''!
    siratomant
    tell all your friends will be considered their classic album, but lounder now for me brings me back to how much i loved this band and why i loved this band
    Kaney
    Yeh i agree. There wont be another Tell All Your Friends, but louder now is a really good effort, i prefer it to their last one.