Louder Now review by Taking Back Sunday

• Released: Apr 25, 2006
Taking Back Sunday: Louder Now

I was very anxious to get my hands on this album early and when I finally did I was not dissapointed. Adam and the boys definitely took a step up from "Where You Want To Be", and created catchier, more energetic and a better musically structured album than their last. Now in my opinion, "Tell All Your Friends" is one of the best albums released in the genre today, and has been with me ever since I started listening to music. Adam cleaned up his vocals, and although they are not perfect, it is quite enjoyable to listen to and exciting to hear. The entire band kicks it up a notch with their technicallity and have you bobbing your head throughout most of the songs. Overall, "Louder Now" musically is structured wonderfully and definitely packs a punch.

Lyrics. There is so much to say relating to the progression (or degression) of Taking Back Sunday's lyrics. "Tell All Your Friends" had lyrics oozing with teenage angst and emotion, and were written by Adam as well as John Nolan, guitarist who now left the band to form Straylight Run. In the absence of Nolan, Taking Back Sunday's lyrics have never been the same. With the repetition of lyrics like "Miami, miami, miami.." You can see the un-originallity taking place in some songs. Although the lyrics lack at some points, they make up for it at a lot of other parts. For example "I'm an addict for dramatics, I confuse the two for love..". Overall, Taking Back Sunday's lyrics will never be the same, but for what they are, they are done well.

Compare to their other albums, I would have to say "Tell All Your Friends" is better than "Louder Now" which is better than "Where You Want To Be". "Miami", "Spin", and "Liar (It Takes One To Know One)" are the most impressive songs on the album, in my opinion, showcasing some of the best lyrics and best musicallity. I love how this album is a lot more energetic than "Where You Want To Be" but I don't like how they took another step away from the "Tell All Your Friends" days. Overall, the new Taking Back Sunday album is definitely a great listen, and if you have been a loyal fan since the early beginnings, you should love this. Enjoy.

imburningstar4
    here we go...im gonna say it...ready? New TBS > Old TBS there i said it don't get me wrong TAYF is great but WYWTB was such a step up in terms of lyrics and guitar and just overall music. Fred brought to this band everything they needed to break away from your average "emo" band.
    jonathanonfire
    i think its funny how on their myspace they say this album is 'melodic hardcore'. (so funny. theyre post-hardcore/emo. glad this site got it right) they claim to get heavier... but yeah... its not much to really make a difference. its more like their first album. to me anyway. theyre one of the staple emo bands of the decade, along with the used and mcr. ohh.. fashion fashion fashion. i cant wait for brand new's brand new album (heh)... its gonna blow this away. mic's are for singing not swinging.
    jonathanonfire
    TeenBite wrote: I think Adam Lazzara is a pretty good singer, because he knows what he's doing. He's obviously been well trained, and can hit some pretty high notes without sounding whiney. Also, he contrasts brilliantly with Fred.
    It's Adam's whiney vocals that are constantly copied by other up and coming emo bands. Especially from long island. The kids seem to like it.. so who cares. meh. John Nolan > TBS
    irockonguitar
    iwrestle71
    speaking of the solo in miami why hasn't anyone taken it upon themselves to tab that song out... i would unfortunately i lack the talent or knowledge of how do to so... but regarding the album i like it a lot its good... in a different way then tayf, it's kinda like wywtb the more u listen to it the better it gets :
    TheRattle§nake
    irockonguitar wrote: what the f*****!!!!! is everybody on drugs!!!!! this album beats all their old stuff, fred is so much better than john. there is only 1 thing i dont like about this album, some of the intros are very alike with the little drum parts, and basicly it sounds crap. other than that i would rate this album 9.5, maybe 1 day ill do a review of it but i cant be assed at the moment
    I liked this one they are darker now