Louder Now review by Taking Back Sunday

• Released: Apr 25, 2006
Taking Back Sunday: Louder Now

My first impression of this album was that it was horrible. The first time I heard it, I was just in Awe at how much TBS went south on their Major Label Debut. Then, I listened to it a little louder, and paid attention to all the little things on the album, and absolutely fell in love with it. This album is amazing. Not as good as Tell All Your Friends, but you have to take it for what it is. It is a very good album. I think they strayed just slightly from their normal sound, probably because of the Major Label. Overall though, it is a very impressing CD.

The lyrics aren't as good as they could be. They have some really good 1 liners like "I'm an addict for dramatics, I confuse the two for love" and "You're so sensitive, I am, I am a machine" But overall, the lyrics lack the amazingness of other TBS lyrics. Sometimes, it gets really repetitive, but it's not always annoying. The songs also seem to go nowhere. If you listen to the lyrics, especially in a song like "Twenty Twenty Surgery" you'll find out that the lyrics just seem like lines thrown together. They don't really tell a story like in previous TBS songs. Adam Lazzara is an amazing singer though, and he doesn't dissapoint on this album. Neither does Fred.

The album is good. Very good. But I can't get my head around how much some of the songs sound like other bands. The intro to "Error Operator"sounds almost exactly like the intro to Senses Fail's Martini Kiss. The intro to "Miami" sounds like something straight out of Nirvana or Weezer. And the intros to "Twenty Twenty Surgery" and "I'll Let You Live" sound like something straight out of Weezer. I think TBS should have tried a little harder to come up with more original stuff like their first 2 CDs, but overall I do love this album. It is an amazing album. If it were lost, I'd probably buy 2 more. It's a wonderful CD.