Louder Now review by Taking Back Sunday

• Released: Apr 25, 2006
Taking Back Sunday: Louder Now

Louder Now is definitely a step forward for Taking Back Sunday. It seems like they simply dismissed their previous, more "emo-ish", depressing sound and replaced it with a more pure, genuine rock sound. Specific songs that really stand out the most, the most rock-incorporated and loud songs, would be "What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost", "Error Operator", and "Spin". This was the first TBS album I've purchased, though I listened to their other music before, and I was very impressed. Their old music I did not enjoy as much because I thought it was all "emo" fad material, and though it grew on me, I can still see how their sound has developed phenominally. They did, however, throw in the occasional slower/laid back songs (Divine Intervention, and My Blue Heaven somewhat) which is always nice to have on any album. Each album shows their development more, "Where You Want To Be" was quite the change from "Tell All Your Friends", and "Louder Now" is quite the change from "Where You Want To Be". It's heavier and everything mixes well. I've noticed with some bands, they tend to just throw in lyrics and riffs anywhere they want and it does not mix well, but TBS manages to make everything sound perfect at the right time. They also made cool transitions from song to song ("IFLTBAG" to "Liar", "Spin" to "Divine Intervention). The guitars (and even drums, good god they never fail to impress me) have impressed me even more. The more powerful, loud riffs really get my attention more on this album.

Adam and Fred are two extremely talented people. They can both scream and sing with either a soft voice or a hollering voice. Their loud, energetic singing in "Spin" will make you want to scream with them, and Adam's soft, mellow singing in "Divine Intervention" will relax you. I find the lyrics hard to decode. They can either be really complex and make you think and be overall metaphorical, or they can just be out there and be easy to figure out. I find the combination of both impressive. In all honesty, I'm extremely jealous of both vocalists. The actual singing ability and writing content makes me envy them a great deal.

"Louder Now" is a big step from their previous records. They've got a more in-your-face kind of effect, and the album has a lot more energy. The first track, "What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost" will suck you in with the catchy guitar riffs, and you'll hear more tracks similar to it like "Spin" and "Error Operator" (which I've already talked about, I know). Some songs will be more generic than the rest but still very enjoyable. For example, "Twenty Twenty Surgery" and "Up Against", though those are both good songs. This album, like any other of TBS' albums, is undoubtably worth the listen and purchase. The louder ones, which I've already spoken of, are my most favorite ones (along with "I'll Let You Live", though that track is more slow than the others). With TBS' newly developed sound, it's no wonder the album name is entitled "Louder Now" (and frankly, that's one of my favorite album titles ever).