Louder Now: Partone [DVD] review by Taking Back Sunday

• Released: Dec 12, 2006
  • Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 8
Taking Back Sunday: Louder Now: Partone [DVD]

Taking Back Sunday has put out a limited edition of their new record Louder Now: Partone that features a DVD with two hours worth material. Even though the DVD goes like a bonus to the band's new album, it is almost a proper DVD worth to be an individual release, not an addition. It has everything a real DVD should have -- a concert, introduction of the band and the crew, backstage footage and on-road stories, music videos (Liar (It Takes One To Know One) and MakeDamnSure). Almost stands for a short concert though -- it doesn't even reach the 20-minute barrier. Just wondering -- did they save the rest for the good times or that's it what is worth seeing?.. The concert was shot in L.A. during their Louder Now support tour and features songs from the new album. The sound is pretty well mastered and it's not too far from the recorded version. It may seem overproduced at times as kills the live atmosphere of the concert. The DVD is tightly stuffed and shows the guys from different sides -- in bed, in the studio, as tourists in other countries. The member insight section goes into ridiculous with the guys talking about each other how special and unique everyone is (there are no alike people on earth, so everyone of us is unique, isn't it?) and how they can't live without each other. You get to the point when you see them talking about the producer of Louder Now Eric Valentine -- he's such a nice person and so fun to deal with and stuff. And then the camera shows you Valentine starring at the studio window with a gloomy face.

Content — 7
I guess the guys don't have something really intriguing to show or to tell people except of how funny they are. There are almost interesting parts of the video like Lazzara showing his old houses he used to live in and his parents' place as well in North Carolina -- his first electric guitar, first Taking Back Sunday sticker, his younger brother's pic... There are actually some more interesting stuff to be heard on the background (like Lazzara doing singing exercises) than stories about taking girls out they're saying to the camera. In the video you are to witness the process of Lazzara highlighting his hair and becoming blonde. There are two Adams -- before and after on the DVD and you can choose which one you like more. I choose the black-haired one!

Production Quality — 8
Yes, the concert part is pretty small, but at least it is fun to watch and even those who buy Taking Back Sunday album for the first time won't be bored. There are a lot of close-up views and plenty of different camera angles, showing Lazzara galloping from one edge of the scene to another, sometimes maybe even too much. It leaves you wishing for more general view of all band members to get the whole picture. Most of the intense moments are showed close, but it's the problem with lighting as it's flashing too often and it's usually dark during a guitar solo. The drummer is shown from a weird angle and you can always see his used towel in front of the camera... The footage on the DVD is pretty well put together. Even though it was taken by an amateur camera, the quality is quite good and it flows smooth within the episodes. The guys even have their own rock documentalist! I've seen the DVDs of some other more famous bands that were of a much worse quality!

In video the guys claim that the reason they are making a DVD is they want people to know them. I think they quite got what they were aiming! By the end of the DVD you know about Taking Back Sunday so much that it feels like they are somebody from your family. The guys have tried to show as much of their insight as they possibly could. The DVD is divided into chapters and sections, which makes it very convenient to watch and easy to search. You can either watch the whole thing from the beginning to the end, or the chosen chapter or a few chapters combined into a section! Even though I was grumbling about bad lighting, there are still a lot of close views of guys playing guitar (well, as much as you can get out of 19-minute show) and you can watch the technique, which is what matters most for any guitar fan.

dumbwolf
    I dont want this DVD,the review make me think than is goin to be one of this kind of concerts than you just want to see one time in your life
    theguitarist
    *sigh* -Stay on the topic of the review -No Flaming of each other or the band -If you can't post something constructive about the review then don't post at all. If you have a something mature to say about the review/your opinion of the album fine, but general criticsisms of the band is not. If you ignore these guidelines you will be warned.
    goldenphoenix1
    really don't like the fact that the live performances sticker is on the front yet you only get 4 songs....expecting more.
    dxvxb
    whitebluesboy wrote: Besides fans of pop-punk, post-hardcore, "emo", or even people who are ignorant enough to call it 'punk, should just get all of the listening to bands like this and their colleagues while they can because give it maybe 4 more years and this kind of music will be old news and real rock and roll is gonna have a comeback.
    what u r describing is what already happened to "real rock and roll" it probably will happen to pop-punk, post-hardcore, and emo but it wont stop me from listening to the music just like it didnt stop ppl form listening to real rock and roll
    punk_isntemo12
    TBS rock. i think i might get the album before Partone thouhg, just to see if i like it. i probably will though, i love 20/20 surgery and MakeDamnSure. keep rockin TBS.
    NotAJock2Day
    I'm entitled to love TBS since they're from Long Island. If you saw the music scene around here you'd know why they stood out so much that they would get signed. -_-;
    TheGuitaristMan
    I respect them as musicians and for making music that they love.
    I agree with you and I will always respect a band for doing that b/c I hope to do that one day. Anyways, I personally think Taking Back Sunday sucks, but that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to one.
    innerfirex
    taking back sunday is good and theyre songs are way catchy, but theres absolutely nothing amazing about them. very cliche music. but good cliche music at least =D.
    whitebluesboy
    electric7
    That is the best explanation I've ever heard of this band yeah, really. i never liked TBS, the guys mic spinning things were alright, but the band never really made anything cept punk-pop hits.
    whitebluesboy
    I respect them as musicians and for making music that they love. With that said I don't think the music on this DVD or CD is very emo. I used to like Taking Back Sunday a lot maybe a year ago but I do feel they get way more spotlight and praise than is appropriate. And yes, as biased as it sounds MANY MANY teenage girls ages 13-17 are obsessed with taking back sunday and post they're lame introspective lyrics anywhere they can.
    cody733
    soo something constructive? i just really got into tbs this summer and to be honest, i'm really surprised i hadn't listened to them before that. one of my friends gave me the first release of louder now without the dvd because she messed up the booklet. I was thinking about buying Partone but if the show is only like 19 minutes long then I think i'll pass. great review. tjv777, jeowy, phantomwuss95... just ****ing drop it
    Kurtsmyhero06
    i like tbs and if u dont thats cool the fact is there doing what they wanna do music wise and you have to respect that
    [NIN]_ROCK!
    jeowy wrote: taking back sunday... theyre one of the bands with an extremly small amount of talent, which is amplified by the guy's irritating and girly singing voice. 99% of their fans only become fans to impress other fans. theyre one of THOSE bands.
    You need some marijuana to chill out,dude...TBS is a good band,screw the opinions of "friends" and the rest of society...
    bequickorbedead
    Although I'm not much of a fan of theirs, you sir are what us English speaking people know as an idiot. Stop wasting the air of the rest of the human race and go die, please, before you embarrass yourself even more.
    Yakult
    vainhero wrote: Guitar_Phreak wrote: they're making more money and are more succesful than any of you other guys. so dont critisize if you cant do better. i really dont think success is measured by albums sold, especially when your riding the gravy train, playing emo music which is the fad right now. music isn't about who can do better
    You hang onto that idea while you taking out trash for the rest of your life. Hell, they may be rich and playing music they love, but they're crap so you've got the last laugh, eh! Good review, a few grammatical errors, but otherwise very interesting. I already bought the album when it came out, but I may consider getting this if I hear other good things about the DVD
    vainhero
    Guitar_Phreak
    chekz
    Dear god, the grammer of this review was horrible. I could barely concentrate on what was being said cause I could not get past the fact that whoever wrote this has horrible skills in the area of english.