Where You Want to Be review by Taking Back Sunday

• Released: Jul 27, 2004

This is album (Where You Want To Be) sounds so much better than their previous album. That may have been cause of their previous lead guitar/singer! This is one of those albums that you can listen thru without skipping a track. The first song, "Set Phasers To The Sun" is a very strong and energetic way to open up the album. I espeically like this album as I did with the previous because of two contributing vocals not just one. As for the guitar riffs, I find it is all pretty much the same for a lot of the songs, that is chords being played as 1/8 notes. These 1/8 notes comprise the majority of the verse riff for virutally all their songs in this album with the exception of "New American Classic". Nonetheless, the guitar riffs are very catchy and very melodic. As for "New American Classic", the acoustic song in this album, the guitar work is wonderful. It is definetely finger picked and sounds very melodic. The solo he has in this song is also noteworthy. I read in Guitar World magazine that they use Gibson SG guitars for most of their recordings. All in all, this album sounds great!

If there is one thing that makes Taking Back Sunday stand out from other punk rock bands, it is definetely their lyrics. I wouldn't say they are the most mature lyrics, but the lyrics are always catchy! Lyrics such as "I've got a bad feeling about this" (A Decade Under The Influence), and spritzy choruses like "I said I'm gonna have myself in shambles, before your folks are up and are lookin for some answers! " (Little Devotional) make this an album which is fun to sing along too. Both the lead singer and the back up singer (the lead guitarist) have exceptionally fitting voices, both can scream when it is needed, and the screaming is delivered in acceptable portions (unlike Alexisonfire).

Taking Back Sunday opened for Blink 182 this summer (2004). But I would have to say, Taking Back Sunday had a far superior album compared to Blink's new self-titled album. I say this because the Taking Back Sunday album is pure, there are no weird effects, its simple, straight-up rock and roll music. The new Blink album has too many effects, too many weird experimentations that it seems like they are trying way too hard to be different. The only thing that I hate about my Taking Back Sunday album is the fact that each song literally has the same format! (Ex members of Taking Back Sunday also accused TBS cuz of this) Other than that, and even that isn't a big deal, this album is flawless. If I lost my cd, I would definetely go out and buy a new one because this is one CD I constantly listen to.