Where You Want to Be review by Taking Back Sunday

• Released: Jul 27, 2004

Taking Back Sunday has a powerful, individual sound. Where You Want To Be is better musically than their previous album, Tell All Your Friends. The guitar parts are complex yet still catchy. The bass is powerful, as it usually is with TBS. The drumming is great and always seems to fit with the music. I like the other effects in the music (ex: strings, percussion), they give me chills. I am impressed with how Taking Back Sunday can create songs that make you want to dance (The Union, Set Phasers To Stun) and an incredible acoustic song such as New American Classic.

The lyrics are amazing. Even better than they were on Tell All Your Friends. In my opinion, Fred is a much better songwriter and vocalist than John Nolan was. As far as lyrics go, they are pretty deep and dark. They don't just come right out and say the meaning, as many of the Tell All Your Friends songs did. Three years ago the album was released and I still can't figure out some of the meanings. Vocally, Adam Lazzara and Fred Mascherino's different singing styles work together surprisingly well. A lot of the time it is very hard to understand what Adam is singing. On the other hand, Fred's voice is very clear. Both of them have a wide variety of things they can sing. They can sing softly and sweetly, as New American Classic proves, and rough and edgy, like they do in The Union. The harmonies are amazing, as well.

Where You Want To Be and the overall progression can somewhat compare to the progression of Brand New. Both bands' first albums were great, don't get me wrong, just very pop-punk. As they moved onto their second album (Taking Back Sunday's Where You Want To Be and Brand New's Deja Entendu), the lyrics became deeper, the songs more meaningful. And with the somewhat recent release of the bands' third albums, I find myself blown away. In my opinion, the most impressive songs are New American Classic, One Eighty By Summer, and Little Devotional. I love how this album proves that a band can be talented both instrumentally and lyrically. There's really nothing I hate about it. I DO miss John Nolan, but the band is better off without him. If I lost this album, I'd freak out and then go buy another copy.

shooshi123
    This Album is by far one of my favourite albums ever. Everytime i listen from the begining it has that fresh guitar sound. Tbs rock