Time To Burn review by Taking Dawn

• Released: Jan 26, 2010
Taking Dawn: Time To Burn

The glitz and glamour of Sin City come alive in Taking Dawn's hard rockin' debut, Time To Burn. Although this is a young band and it is 2010, their sound takes you back to the 80's and early 90's, the glory days of hard rock. Had Taking Dawn been around in those days, I wouldn't be surprised to see them touring with bands like Motley Crue, Skid Row, and GnR. Their grooves are infectious, their songs are catchy, their solos are flashy, and their choruses are memorable. Just like how rock and roll should be. Once the album starts, you're hit with track after track of attitude and energy. There are a few songs with slower tempos, but most of them are at a relatively quick pace. A solid rhythm section and melodic guitar leads add fuel to the fire, while soaring choruses promote sing-alongs at shows. The music itself sounds like legit classic rock with a modern touch to it. A slightly metallic modern touch. It's a very versatile record. There are songs to mosh and headbang to and there are others that just make you want to dance. If this band has mastered one art, it's the art of making people want to move.

The singer, while having a pleasing voice, also has a wonderful ear for melody. Songs like Time to Burn and Take Me Away have such epic choruses that you can't resist singing along. Other songs like Fight 'Em with Your Rock showcase a vocal style similar to Vince Niel on some of Crue's quicker songs. A talented singer indeed. Lyrics aren't exactly a strong point for the band. Being a band focused around having fun, depth in lyrics is rare. It's more about having catchy lines to remember.However, that isn't to say that there aren't lyrics on here that are meaningful. Godless, Close Your Eyes, and a few others have relatively well written lyrics.

If you're a fan of anything 80's, even Iron Maiden (as the band says), you should give Taking Dawn a shot. I'm pretty sure they're on tour right now with Theory of a Deadman. So if you're going to their show anytime soon, watch them play and pick up a copy of their record. If you like your rock with a side of groove and energy, then this should please you. This is perfect music to drive to, and a stunning debut. While the 80's cliches can be tiresome at times, it is important to realize that this music is made to have fun to. Don't act all serious and critical. If you enter this album with a critical mindstate, you might not enjoy it as much. Check out the songs So Loud, Time to Burn, and Fight 'Em with your Rock. There's also a really nifty cover of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain". So get out there and rock!

\m/ HUX \m/
    They are pretty sweet. I saw them in Knoxville, TN with All That Remains and Lacuna Coil
    Insanity 101
    Saw these guys with All That Remains in Sayreville, NJ back in November. They were actually surprisingly good, surprisingly, beacause I never heard of them.
    ShrimpthePimp
    Amuro Jay
    ShrimpthePimp wrote: As a long time fan, I agree with Etherealistic. But, i still like them, and i'd definately go out to see them if they ever came near me.
    They're on tour now supporting Theory of a Deadman. I see you live in Dallas, and the tour is passing through there on the 8th or something. So if you want to see them now while they're still small, here's your chance.
    MetalUpYourRear
    Etherealistic wrote: I liked them way better when they were 7th Son. The music then was perfect.
    They were amazing back then. But they are sooo much better now. Their writing has matured 10 fold. I have really enjoyed watching these guys grow over the years.
    bigbird65
    Been a fan since they were known as 7th Son, and all i can say is "their a kick ass band!" waited for hem album to come out for a while and once it did, I showed it to a few friends and they all liked it. goes to show how awesome they are!