Time To Burn review by Taking Dawn

• Released: Jan 26, 2010
Taking Dawn: Time To Burn

Here we are with Taking Dawn's "Time to Burn". Formerly known as 7th Son, this is the debut album from TD that showcases what this band has evolved to. Here, you will find a sound that is very much inspired by the 80's hard rock/glam metal greats, but with a fresh, modern twist thrown in. The end result is a barrage of headbangin' good riffs, catchy melodies, flashy solos, and memorable choruses. Songs such as Time to Burn, Godless, and Save Me showcase a more modern vibe from the band, while songs such as So Loud, and Fight 'em With your Rock will have you thinking these guys could play with a band like Motley Crue or Skid Row, and fit right in. There's even a cool Fleetwood Mac cover at the end of the disc. From start to finish, you'll find yourself getting hooked, and before you know it, you might just be singing along!

The lyrics, while they fall into 80's rock cliche's at times, are well written, and fit the mood of the songs perfectly. The subjects of the songs tend to revolve around rock and roll, sex, betrayal, and rebellion. Chris is a talented vocalist, who is capable of both aggressive, gruff sounding vocals, such as in the title track, and also higher-octave wails, such as those heard in Fight 'em with Your Rock. His style seamlessly blends in with the background music. You know when something just sounds as right as can be? well this is it. 80's hard rock fans will be very pleased, as well as those looking for something different than what most newer bands are doing out there right now.

Overall, I would say this is a fantastic debut album from this up and coming band. I've been hooked on it for weeks, much so in the same way I did when I discovered many of the classic albums from the era that seems to have inspired this band the most. But to call it a re-hash of 80's metal would just be an outright lie, as they have taken this classic sound, and added their own twist to it. This is a fresh sounding band, that will capture your attention. The whole album is quite awesome, so it's quite hard to pick just a few favorites, but I find myself listening to Like a Revolution, So Loud, and Fight 'em with your Rock the most. If I have to think of something "wrong" with this album, it is only minor quirks. Some tracks sound a bit overproduced at times for this style of music IMHO, but that's about it really. This is a must in my record collection. I'm already stoked for whatever this band puts out next! P.S: Those who have followed this band since the 7th Son days may be pleased to know that "V" is a bonus track on the special edition of this album.

Gumle
    I saw them warm up for Airbourne and they were crazy. I have never seen such a kick-ass warm. And they sold their album outside afterwards so I got myself a signed one!