Fear Of Music review by Talking Heads

• Released: Aug 3, 1979
Talking Heads: Fear Of Music

The Talking Heads were one of the earliest bands that could be classified as New Wave, so given the standard upbeat nature of a lot of New Wave music, this album is quite a surprise. In sound, this is the anti-New Wave album, even if David Byrne's singing isn't all that different from on more "happy" Talking Heads releases. The atmosphere that is created on "Fear of Music" is dark, reminding me of Joy Division more than anything else that was around during the time the album came out. If there is such a thing as Suicidal Death Metal, then this is the New Wave equivalent.

The lyrics deal with a very simple thing: Fear. Fear of anything and everything a human being can possibly think to be afraid of. Though the music is dark, the lyrics are not all that dark, but they get the point across accurately, that the world is a pile of chaos. This album will scare you in one way or another. The whole musical harmony of this album is really solid, considering the Talking Heads normally like to make a fun mess of everything. The songs that stood out the most to me would have to be "Mind," "Paper" and "Animals."

This is one of my personal favorite albums for the reason that it's a good example of music that would fit well with the current state of the world in general. There's things to be scared of and there will always exist things to be scared of, as that's really just how the balance of the universe works. The Talking Heads may not have understood or even briefly thought of this when they recorded "Fear of Music," but regardless of what they were thinking, this is an amazing album, even though I'm sure not everybody feels the same way.