Mind Control review by Tantric

• Released: Jul 21, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Tantric: Mind Control

Tantric had initially formed in Kentucky as an offshoot band featuring of all the members of neo-grunge act Days of the New, sans frontman Travis Meeks, only with a new singer. In a twist of irony, the only remaining original member of Tantric is singer Hugo Ferreira. The singer the only member of Tantric who wasn't in Days of the New and he's the last man standing. Regardless, the new turks in this band known how to turn up the dial on gloomy, grungy and radio-ready rock. After all, this is a band that achieved a modicum of mainstream radio success in the earlier part of the current decade. However, with Tantric, it's like its 1992 all over again! Somebody get me a flannel work shirt and jeans with holes in the knees! Tantric, despite the lineup changes and label shifting, stabilized their sound, which is a heavy and head- down style. Grittier than Pearl Jam yet not quite as polished as, say, Candlebox, Tantric and Mind Control are grunge for the new millennium. The title track is textbook grunge, while Fall to the Ground is hookier than a tackle box and will shake the floor with its deep grooves. The overall vibe of Mind Control is reaaallllyy gloomy, especially on Coming Undone, and like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, Tantric concentrate mostly on driving riffs that are best complemented by assertive, well-sung vocals. There's some intense solo'ing on Coming Undone that might even attract a few metal fans to Tantric's lair. The band avoids falling into the trap of being too bland or too vanilla, thanks to the sharp, jagged edges implicit in the music.

Ferreira is speaking to the masses. If you've clocked out and headed to the watering hole, all the while cursing that blue collar job you hate, Mind Control is certainly the album that should be blaring from the speakers of your pickup truck. We can all relate to the lyrical sentiments that Ferreira broaches. But what's most comforting is the bellow of his voice. He emotes and sings from the pit of his guts, which lends a sincerity to this album.

Grunge's heyday is decidedly in the rear view, but that's not stopping Tantric from forging a path. There's a tension that surrounds Mind Control, and the band is certainly paying homage to an era gone by. So if you were in high school or college, or even grade school, for that matter, when Nirvana were taking the music world by storm, then Tantric and Mind Control will remind you of that period of your life and that time in music history. Tantric know how to crank the knobs to 11 and how to blow the subwoofer in your speakers, but there's real emotion teeming from these rowdy riffs.

Perp8tualMotion
    When your entire band leaves except for one person, the name needs to change. It's obviously not going to be the same project anymore, and this is nothing like Tantric was.
    Seth_SImon
    This band is one of my favorites and positively ROCKS! I've been a fan since the amazing debut album, and even though they haven't quite been able to repeat the success or the quality of the first album as a whole, they've had some great singles, mostly NOT the ones that get airplay. Mind Control is still not as good as the first album overall, but there are some seriously great tracks on it, with the usual interesting layering of textures, lots of changes, strong melody, heavy guitars, and of course, Hugo's baritone vocals. They experiment with different instruments and sounds too, which I always welcome. Dig the electric violin. If you ever get a chance to see them live do it, because they are very very good onstage.
    matttoofatty
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: What does "post-grunge" sound like?
    bush, staind, cold, live could all be classified as post-grunge, but they can come under other headings as well. for instance, bush and live are both often referred to as "alternative" (despite their commercial success) and cold and staind could be referred to as "nu-metal," as they were most commonly labeled at the end of the millenium.
    morbidlife
    Foo Fighters are post grunge, well there first album anyway. I don't think anyone should use the term "hookier then a tackle box"
    mickd-8
    I have loved Tantric scince I was a kid the album is great loved every second of it
    drivenunder4
    I love tantric and have been looking forward to this. I heard the title track tho and wasn't too impressed. That's not one of the better songs on this album is it?
    BodomJordan
    I have never heard of these guys, until today. I got the CD. Coming Undone is an amazing song.
    Echoplex
    Their radio single from the previous album was good, but kinda meh...