Blue-Sky Research review by Taproot

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Taproot: Blue-Sky Research

First, let me preface this by saying I've been a fan of Taproot since their first CD. They had a raw sound that was equal parts harmony and rage. This is what appealed to me, as well as the textural and jutting guitar work and Steven Richards's emotional vocals. Having said that, Taproot have strayed far far from their roots, shooting down their initial ideas for overly polished and wholly radio friendly songs. The songs stink of popular radio, and Billy Corgan's (who helped co-write half the album) fingerprints are all over it. Great if you're a Smashing Pumpkins fan, not so good if you're a Taproot fan.

The lyrical content was about the on ly thing that stayed true to its roots. They are as passionate and emotional as ever. His voice has improved drastically both in terms of control and tonal quality.

My overall impression is that this is both Taproot's weakest and probably last effort. If they continue to go this direction, they'll be strumming acoustic guitars under the moonlight and serenading teenage girls in an attempt to convince them to go to the prom. What a shame. If this album were stolen or lost, I would consider myself lucky to be rid of it and probably celebrate by throwing an overly large party. A severe disappointment.