Blue-Sky Research review by Taproot

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
Taproot: Blue-Sky Research

Taproot's new CD has some of the most unusual progressions in it. It's extremely innovative. Most of the songs aren't as speedy and quick as they are on Gift and Welcome. These songs lend themselves more towards the "dark" side. Almost every song incorporates major and minor keys and the diminished shifts between them. It's great! Taproot instilled their classic sound with their first album, and thankfully it's still present in this album. I like that when bands can keep their originality throughout the course of their CD creation. The screaming parts are well placed and not overused.

The lyrics on this CD are much better than before. I especially like the lyrics to the songs "Birthday" and "April Suits". The lyrics all fit the songs written for them. Not unexpected. The singer, Stephen Richards, has a great voice too. It's powdered with vibrato at the ends of phrases and the harmonics in the songs are always really full and rich (a classic Taproot sound). I wouldn't be surprised if he's had voice training of some sort.

In comparison to other songs on my iTunes, the Blue-Sky Research is in my top-rated list! Of course, it's always hard to judge the album, especially if it is new, but I think you can tell when a good album arrives. Some of the best songs from the album are "April Suits" and "Calling". They are both similiar in that they're major and minor and are have heavy choruses (it's a really interesting listen). There's not much negative to say about Blue-Sky Research, except for the fact that they could've written more songs for it. I'd definitly buy a new album is some retard stole it.

Token716
    Listen closer to the lyrics... Especially on Welcome. Most of their songs start out sad and have a happy ending on that CD. Depressing? Where?
    wik3dspid3r
    Yes most of there earlier songs were positive at the ending. I can not believe there was a bad review for this giant step in evolution that was an awesome record