The Episodes review by Taproot

• Released: Apr 10, 2012
Taproot: The Episodes

This band, while achieving modest mainstream success and a few heavily played singles early last decade, is not generally well liked or known. As a longtime fan of the band, I've come to appreciate this despite my own enjoyment of the band's style and aesthetic. "The Episodes", their 6th LP, was released in April 2012 to virtually nonexistent hype. Which is a pity, because this record is actually pretty good. The sound on this record is more in the vein of alternative rock than the "nu-metal" sound that dominated Taproot's early work. But that is misleading if it gives the connotation of a more straightforward and commercial sounding record. The band tries many new sonic tricks and manages to keep it interesting. Vocalist Stephen Richards employs several new vocal approaches, as well as many of his old staples. Mike DeWolf's has more lead guitar on this album than any previous one, and Nick's drumming really comes together with many tight grooves and occasional fills that show his ability to play technical parts if appropriate. The only member who is a little under highlighted here is bassist Phil Lipscomb, who has a few moments, but is often overshadowed in the mix. This didn't bother me overmuch, however, because he has dominated much of their earlier material with some interesting playing. Overall, the album somehow manages to achieve that difficult feat that so many bands fail at: playing a different style while still sounding recognizable and staying true to the original integrity (Linkin Park could take a lesson). The album's ethereal sound has more in common with Aeon Spoke than Korn, and the scattered electronics and keys give it more depth. Additionally, the overall musicianship has improved substantially and the songwriting is creative. The main drawback here is that there aren't many parts of the CD that jump out at you as incredible at an immediate glance. But it will reward extra attention if it is given.

The lyrics on this album convey a loose concept, and this give the disc more cohesion. They are, for the most part, simple, but effective in context. The vocals, as mentioned, are multifaceted and as good as the performances on their last two records at least. Richard's vocals sound more like Chino Moreno than Layne Staley here, and appropriately. However, one glaring aspect here is the intermittent use of speech synthesized "Microsoft Sam" vocals. I strongly disliked this at first and thought it took away from otherwise solid tracks. Upon further reflection, it is nice to see the band experimenting at least, and the lyrics in those sections are often quite poetic, even if I would rather hear Steve sing them.

I wasn't sure what to expect at first, and to be honest, the first listen through disappointed me. The album was not what I had wanted or expected from them. But after giving it a better chance, I came to admire this record. It's hard to name highlight tracks, because most of the songs are around the same level (in a good way). Particularly though, I enjoyed "No Surrender", "Memorial Park", and "Around The Bend". "A Kiss From The Sky" has a nice lead riff in it, and "Strange And Fascinating" has a strong bridge section toward the end. "We Don't Belong Here" is a potent closing track, and is perhaps the most reminiscent of the early Taproot work. In closing, this album surprised me with its depth and songwriting. I felt vindicated for still being a fan of this band.

ghost_killaz
    love these guys... the gift was such a good album,, loved it through high school, i will have to pick this up.
    Firebreather01
    I don't know why the Nu Metal is one of the genres for this review. Welcome was the last album they put out that had anything Nu in it. The albums after that steered clear of that style completely. Anyway, this album is a real grower. Very obscure on first listen though. Not their best album (BSR is and always will be) but it's very good.
    onezaner
    Love this band as I have always said Taproot grows on you I mean sh*t they got me through High school and College I saw them live a few times they wore all white to ozzfest one year I thought that was pretty neat.
    prepostrophy
    vppark2
    HavokStrife wrote: Victory records....is that a typo? If you told me 10 years ago that Taproot would be on Victory, I would have went right along with the joke and asked if they were touring with Hatebreed...
    theyre on victory dude. they signed with them wen they released their last record, "Plead The Fifth".
    Human371
    After over two years of writing this review, I feel I underrated this album. It has really grown on me more and more
    HavokStrife
    callumbloodpuke
    prepostrophy wrote: my band and i opened up for these guys when they first toured with victory records. we had a larger crowd than they did....
    what's your band called?
    kopij1989
    As much of a dick statement that is to make, it's not false. They're not a bad band at all though they're just terrible at marketing themselves and getting out there and so is everyone that handled them after "Welcome".
    Human371
    Plead the Fifth had a bit of the nu-metal thing going on again. But I agree, very underrated.