My Winter Storm review by Tarja

• Released: Feb 26, 2008
Tarja: My Winter Storm

Those of you who were left devastated when Nightwish fired vocalist Tarja Turunen are about to get another fix of the Finnish songstress. Now going only by the name Tarja, the soprano is closer to her operatic roots than ever before with My Winter Storm, her second solo release since leaving Nightwish in October 2005. While her former band always dabbled in symphonic structure, Tarja's latest work feels like an all-out opera at times. There are hints of guitars, drums, and bass here and there, but My Winter Storm is far from resembling any sort of metal style out there. The results can be both thrilling and dull, but Tarja's dedicated fans probably won't mind a few slow spots along the way.

The record begins with Ite, Miss Est/I Walk Alone, which was inspired by Amadeus Mozart's Requiem. If you've ever heard the Mozart piece, you'll understand that it makes for a dramatic and dark start to a record. It was a brilliant choice on Tarja's part to draw from the classic piece, and it never seems like a blatant rip-off. In fact, the main chorus of I Walk Alone (also the first single) actually doesn't draw comparisons to Mozart at all thanks to Tarja's unique vocal phrasing and choice of melodies.

Another highlight on the record is Lost Northern Star, a song with a lead riff that is apparently a nod to Rammstein. You can hear a bit of the German band's influence within it, but the horror film genre comes to mind more than Rammstein. It's actually quite a haunting song thanks to Tarja's very eerie ah-ahs that sound straight out of The Omen. The verses are fairly minimal on the instrumentation, with Tarja and the drums as the main focus. It's the choruses and a creepy spoken-word section in the middle that are the biggest payoff, relaying the cinematic feel that Tarja has mentioned she's after in interviews.

There are some issues halfway through the record, only because there are quite a few pieces that strip away almost too much of the instrumentation. Tarja's vocals and a piano are often the focal point, with perhaps a bit of synth underneath as well. Our Great Divide and Oasis are pretty, but they can also make you a bit sleepy. Minor Heaven suffers from this issue a bit, but it completely redeems itself with a building crescendo. But even when things get a little slow, Tarja's vocals are still astounding.

For as impressive as Tarja's vocals are on My Winter Storm, the lyrical content is just as engaging. The styles bounce between being free-verse poetry and traditional storytelling, and you can find amazing imagery in both styles. Granted, Tarja didn't actually write every song, and there were quite a few people who contributed lyrics/music to the album. For as many names that show up in the liner notes for songwriting, it's pretty incredible how cohesive everything ends up being.

Tarja is one of the strongest vocalists to come out of the metal scene, so it's likely that she already has a strong enough fan base that will adapt to anything she takes on vocally. The music on My Winter Storm dives into the opera genre with no hesitation, and the guitars and percussion are more of a rarity. Drama is key throughout the record, though, and the emotional, compositions might be enough to keep fans interested. But for all of the dramatic elements that Tarja brings to the table, at times My Winter Storm lags. Tarja has mentioned she loves a cinematic-score style, and you definitely get the same kind of lulls you would get in a movie scene where not a lot is happening.

When it comes down to it, the main feature is Tarja's vocals, which are simply flawless. There are a few missteps, with the biggest one being the cover of Alice Cooper's Poison. It ends up sounding extremely, for lack of a better word, odd. There is just such a huge contrast between the style and speed of Tarja and Cooper's delivery that it doesn't quite work. You have to give Tarja credit for taking on an unexpected song choice in any case. All in all, there might only be one, maybe two, songs among the 18 tracks that truly revisit her symphonic metal days, but will that matter to Tarja's legion of fans? Probably not.

bokuho
    It's a good album, about on par with the latest Nightwish release, incidently. Neither has left my CD player since they were released. Her singing was better on her other[ solo tracks though, though then again those had no guitar and were mostly christmas tunes and classical so I don't expect to see a review of those crop up here any time soon.
    EVANescence1500
    Then it clearly must not be headbangable
    RunlikeHell420
    xCoilx wrote: hm.but is it headbangable?
    keen
    She covers Alice Cooper's "Poison"... it is a metal album. a very metal album.
    Dimebag Dave
    Because she incorporates guitars in her music? Try listening to the music before posting your ignorance.
    NightwishAngel
    This album is amazing. As much as I like both the old and new Nightwish, My Winter Storm sure beats Dark Passion Play, but that's my opinion. Tarja is an amazing singer and one of the best.
    steve_6661
    i heard this album months ago, its pretty cool but some of the songs were kind of boring, hell, i miss the old nightwish
    ATNeo
    I've been told, that there is Joe Satriani on the electric guitars. Is that's true?
    messenjah
    i bought this pretty much the day it hit in europe and i was blown away. her voice... theres just something so incredibly special about it that i cannot describe
    ozzynator
    Its a good thing they reviewed the album here. I am a fan of the old Nightwish and i had no idea that she have a new solo album, must check it out.
    zappp
    mattyp90 wrote: Aziraphale wrote: "...and the guitars and percussion are more of a rarity..." Sure, she was once in a metal band but now she's just an opera singer like the rest, why is she on UG? Because UG is more than just a guitar tab site these days. I agree that some news articles are getting far too irrelevent for UG, but I think any kind of music review is fair enough to put up here, especially this one. For a start there will be fans of Nightwish on UG that are interested in what she's up to. Also this album still has guitars in it, so there will probably be tabs for Tarja on UG, and so why not review her new CD?
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/tarj... unen_tabs.htm
    mattyp90
    Aziraphale
    xCoilx
    EVANescence1500 wrote: RunlikeHell420 wrote: xCoilx wrote: hm.but is it headbangable? ok wait.. so u judge ur music on "headbanging"?, not the lyrics or musical melody... people like u r makin metal bad :\ Then it clearly must not be headbangable
    wow.i posted that to hear some honest opinions.and no i dont judge it on just that im a musican myself,so way to go.