Speak Now review by Taylor Swift

• Released: Oct 25, 2010
Taylor Swift: Speak Now

I was so excited for the release of this CD and it didn't let me down. Full of songs about heartbreak and love this CD will delight true Taylor fans - maybe even recruiting some more. However Taylor seems to be leaning towards more poppy sounds, personally I would have preferred something very country, so maybe she'll do this for her fourth album. There was a very country song, "Mean", and a gentle rock ballad, "Innocent" - both of which stand out. All the songs are catchy though there are similarities to other artists hear and there, she gives a good, solid performance throughout.

Swift wrote all the lyrics and melodies herself and she did wonderfully. Her song writing skills have vastly improved and they are amazing considering she wrote this when she was twenty. Yes, most of the songs our about her boyfriends (she must have had so many) but there are others which are not about her lovers, but about things that her younger fans can relate to, such as growing up and still feeling a little out of place in the world. Her singing has got much better and her voice has matured.

For me "Speak Now", is better than her last too, though it probably won't win album of the year like "Fearless", but she has done a good job, even if it is lacking her genre. It's difficult to place Swift in a genre because sometimes she's country and sometimes she's poppy. For me the best song on the album is "Long Live" which summarizes her incredible breakthrough. I also loved "Never Grow Up" and "Sparks Fly". "Last Kiss" is also very poignant. Her use of an orchestra for "Haunted" is effective. "The Story Of Us" and "Better Than Revenge" are lively and good for dancing to. I have two copies of this album and if it vanished I probably would buy it again because I listen to it all the time, but I want more country next time.