Team Sleep review by Team Sleep

• Released: May 10, 2005
Team Sleep: Team Sleep

This CD has been talked about for years, and has been squeduled for release so many times over the last 4 years that some thought it would never come out. After an album of demos leaked onto the internet years ago, people realised how brilliant this would be if these demos were finilized. But what was rapidly becoming a dream to interested fans finally became a reality this year, when its final release date was set, and Team Sleep finally released their self-titled debut album. If you look at the work of the band members that make up Team Sleep, it's hard to imagine that this wouldn't be a fantastic CD. Non-suprisingly, it IS fantastic and not only for fans of Deftones. While this album does sound like a chilled out Deftones in some tracks ("Your Skull Is Red," "Blvd. Nights") don't expect to be moshing to this CD in your bedroom, kicking your side-table about all the way through. Team Sleep have managed to keep a balance of clean/distored guitars, programmed/live drums and sampled sounds throughout this record to create various styles and genres that all complement each other, and managed to make it their own personal sound. This record sounds exactly like you would imagine if you really thought about the band members and what they do best, or another way to think of it is to imagine musical perfection got it? Got Team Sleep?

I can't really complain at all about the lyrics, they are all superbly put together. However I do feel the use of Rob Crow was a little over the top. He has a great voice and there are obviously some parts on the album where Rob does a fantastic job and I feel they made the right choice to have him sing these parts, but there are also some parts I would have rather heard Chino. I'm sure I will warm towards Rob more the more I listen to this record.

The only CD worthy of comparison with this amazing record would have to be the leaked Team Sleep album of demos. The leaked album showed us how promising this band would be if given a proper chance to show what they can do, its production was dodgy and the songs hadn't properly formed to become all they could. The official release does everything the demos were lacking, especially taking the best unfinished songs from the demos and forming them correctly to acheive perfection. A prime example of this is Ever, formally Foreign Flag, formally Cambodia. As one of my favorites from the leak I was pleased it had been included, but even more pleased when I heard the amazng changed made to it. This is also true with the other songs that appeared in the leak and have been rerecorded for the album. The most impressive songs from the album are Ever, Our Ride To The Rectory and 11/11. If this album were lost I would have to buy a new one ASAP.