They Came From the Shadows review by Teenage Bottlerocket

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Teenage Bottlerocket: They Came From the Shadows

What can I say about Teenage Bottlerocket that many haven't said before? Yea sure, they're pop-punk and their music is based on simple, power chord progression, small guitar leads and punk drumming, but who says that has to be a bad thing? The songs are catchy! The recording quality of the album is outstanding, everything seems to blend seamlessly. There is also some variety in the songs too, the track "Fatso Goes Nutsoid" pummels you with some quick guitar and drum playing, reminding me of the faster Offspring songs from the Smash album.

When it comes to the lyrics, there are a few "stereotypical" pop-punk lyrics. From the girl troubles of "Not OK" and the call to skate with friends of "Skate Or Die", one would think that the album is filled with these "pop-punky" lyrics. This isn't something to complain about tough, most of us had our ups and downs when it comes to relationships, so I can relate to these lyrics somewhat. However, there is diversity when it comes to the lyrical content of the songs! From the lyrics about dying on a forbidden planet, to the insecurity of someone called Fatso, the lyrics make it seem like the songs wouldn't be the same without them. One song that I find hilarious is "Bigger Than Kiss", which pretty much talks smack on Kiss, jokingly, of course. Those who are familiar with Kiss and don't get upset by the band having a little fun will probably enjoy this song also.

I find this album to be impressive, with my favorite songs being "Bigger Than Kiss", "Not OK", "Fatso Goes Nutzoid". Sure, the album does get a bit weak a couple of songs near the end, but it's not like they are bad songs, they're just not as good as some of the other songs on the cd. Overall, I think this a great album that any Teenage Bottlerocket or pop-punk fan would enjoy, so I highly recommend it!