Warning Device review by Teenage Bottlerocket

• Released: Jan 8, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
Teenage Bottlerocket: Warning Device

Pop-punk in the fashion of Screeching Weasel, or the Ramones is a much celebrated genre of music, which even the best of us cannot help but like. Teenage Bottlerocket somehow manage to eliminate any respect the listener has for the genre with this collection of rip offs, filler, and well, even more filler. The typical formula to the genre is an ever present on this album. The palm muted verse climax in an impotent chorus, before the over-produced guitar tones return to their almost stagnant state of palm muting. The drums are typical, resorting to simplistic beats, which only serve to lull the listener into suicidal thoughts, and that is before listening to the unfortunately irksome guitar solos, which are typically minimalist and well, boring. In fact the most challenging section of the sound is to stay awake for long enough to hear anything. Teenage Bottlerocket have managed to replicate the punk pop sound and formula so well that they will of course be able to sell copies of this album to the hoards who somehow want to listen to music so unimaginative that it could be considered a threat to national security.

Does anybody like that seminal Ramones song, I don't wanna go down to the basement? You can now hear the identical lyrical theme in the Teenage Bottlerocket song In the Basement. The Ramones covered all of the lyrical topics on Warning Device eons ago, so listen to them instead. The lyrics are one lengthy platitudinous statement- and the harmonies are in all the right places, which makes this formulaic and terribly characterless. Oh, and prepare for an abundance of whoa-oh-ohs.

Teenage Bottlerocket are blossoming into a fine imitation of every other pop punk band out there, embracing the clichs of the genre like the prodigal son. They play their plagiarised tunes with passion, and it is evident that they wear their influences on their sleeves, but there comes a time in a band's lifespan when a band must develop its own sound; sadly, Teenage Bottlerocket have failed in regarding this point. It is a shame, because the band members all seem to be genuinely pleasant people, but being pleasant does not earn them bonus points. This is 'pretty vacant' stuff if you ask me, but this could be used in schools to introduce children to pop punk if their parents are fearful of them listening to anything that could test the limits of their children's music preferences.

jeeba jaba
    A-TrainBadSeed
    im gettin tired of all those generic, superficial, pop punk bands. this review basically says that all of that pop punk crap is overrated
    charliezard!
    Adarsh wrote: ss311 listens to a lot of punk. Hence reviews a lot of punk and pop-punk. So...yeah...
    ss311 "F avorite bands : Sex Pistols"
    Yeah, not quite, apparently. Warning Device is extremely catchy. If you listened to this and thought of it as any attempt to be original, you obviously aren't qualified to review it. It's one of the most flat-out fun albums you'll ever listen to, so if you're looking into buying it, don't let this review stop you. I'd put it really close to being as good as Total. Not quite as catchy, but it's also faster and has more energy. Great album. Bad review.
    blackflag49
    Gawd this guy probably doesn't even listen to punk musik, dis music is too DEEP for him >*-(
    axeslash
    Nothing better than people going "ARGH THIS REVIEW DOESN'T SUPPORT MY VIEWS UG TEAM SUCKS SO BAD BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE SAYING BECAUSE THEY DON'T LISTEN TO PUNK." Nothing like inaccurate ad hominem attacks to prove that kids really don't know shit about anything. I listened to a few tracks and I get what you're saying. I like how the singer tries to do his best to imitate Joey. It's so cute.
    Adarsh
    jeeba jaba wrote: Learn something about pop punk before writing a review trying to display any knowledge of said genre.
    clashclash wrote: dont trust this review , UG is just filled of revewers who like "rock" they just dont get the whole punk thing. i think this album is tip top
    Erm..... ss311 listens to a lot of punk. Hence reviews a lot of punk and pop-punk. So...yeah...
    ss311
    jeeba jaba wrote: You commend "boring" single string leads/solos
    No, I don't. Do you know what commend means?
    skaterider45
    UG should learn how to review a ****ing album. These songs are anything but ripoffs. I find myself singin the words to Down in the Basement in my head all day long. If these guys really sucked...then why did they get signed by Fat Wreck Chords 2 days ago? I think Fat Mike, if anyone, should get final say in whats good or bad music, and i got a good feeling he'd say nothing but good shit about this album.
    brigbator
    I find almost every review I read on this site regarding a pop punk band is completely awful. First off the reviewer seems to know NOTHING about pop punk. I ****ing love this band, they're catchy. If you're into bands that just musically masturbate and try to show off their "skills" then yeah you probably wont like this band. But to anybody who loves the genre of pop punk and understands that Technicality has NOTHING to do with how good a song is I strongly suggest you check these guys out. thats my two cents. you ****ing douche bag.
    BrewtownRat
    this is one of the godammned best records i've heard in a long time, and i've been listening to this stuff a long time. unabashedly rips off the ramones to be sure, but i could give two rips when the songs are this good. original? absolutely not, but big freakin deal, when again the songs are this good. i will admit the "basement" lyrics bugged me as well, but i really don't give a crap. i was not expecting the next bob dylan. i love the ramones. near unconditional until those last 3-4 records made me add conditions, but i swear if this were a ramones record it would be the 3rd best. and i agree with stooper dave, if you liked Total (and you should godammit), you'll like this. if not, oh well, you're missing out.
    Stooper Dave
    Who cares? The reviewer is entitled to his own opinion. I happen to like Teenage Bottle Rocket and I like this album. If you are trying to decide weather or not to buy it based on this review then it's like this: If you liked Total then you'll like this one. That's pretty much how it goes.
    clashclash
    LeX_207
    Nice review as in wording and expression with good manipulation of the english language...as far as the score goes I think it might've been a bit harsh but then I havent listened to the cd so I couldn't provide my own view on it...
    Jaw Knee
    It's actually a pretty decent album. The UG Team just ****ing sucks at reviewing.
    schizz
    jeeba jaba wrote: This review is pretty terrible. If you're gonna harp on the band for "ripping off" the Ramones, then don't build up Screeching Weasel as a band that didn't do the exact same thing (so much so that they released their own version of the Ramones first album). You commend "boring" single string leads/solos, which in fact, is pretty much a huge staple in the pop punk genre, Mr. T Experience, Crimpshine, Screeching Weasel, all huge on limited guitar lines in the form of simplistic leads/solos. Formulaic teenage bottlerocket may be, but sucktacular they are not. Learn something about pop punk before writing a review trying to display any knowledge of said genre.
    Ha, so pretty much you're saying, "Well it's pop punk so it's allowed to suck, it's just part of the definition."
    GSD N3
    i happen to like TBR and you should know something about the genre before making a review about them. to quote TBR: "Go Away!"
    SeanHart213
    more of a bash than a review, but a great read nonetheless. nice metaphors too "embracing the clichs of the genre like the prodigal son" i like that one lol
    HurricaneSG
    "this could be used in schools to introduce children to pop punk if their parents are fearful of them listening to anything that could test the limits of their childrens music preferences." +1
    kaptink
    Im not sure if I'd agree with 3.7 but it is pretty average and trodden ground.
    Chaise Boogie
    I haven't listened to it yet, but I hope you're wrong. Maybe you just had a bad day or something.