Marquee Moon review by Television

• Released: Jan 1, 1977
Television: Marquee Moon

I love this band. The label punk seams not to fit them to well though, it does apply to the scene they cam from though. They literaly built the stage a CBGB's. The sound is strikingly clear, almost like a bluenote jazz record. The guitars are clean, yet powerful and articulately ballanced. Not to many studio effects, just some double tracking on some of the solos to beef them up.

Verlaine came to New York to become a poet, but found being in a band would be easier. The lyrics seam to have meaning, but only if you listen to the story he's telling in songs like marquee moon will you get the message I think he's trying to send. All in all, I couldn't have chosen better lyrics to go with the music (or vice versa).

What can I say? I've never heard anything quite like Television. It's soothing and it's just a great package, I don't know how I lived without this album, it's realy great for anyone who has a good appreciation of music. I love it. If it were stolen, I would probably beat the person who took it, then make them a copy, because it's that good.

modernage13
    you gotta listen to this album! it blows my mind even listening to it a million times over!
    ss311
    Great album, I'm playing for about the millionth time right now, and it's still just as good.
    European Son
    One of the best albums ever. Every record collection lacking this album has a big, big hole to fill.
    Arthur_Jayz-G!
    josh w c wrote: - i really like tom verlaine's vocals but its a shame he can't play lead guitar to save his life.
    Hmm cant play lead guitar to save his life...interesting that he's regarded by myself and many other critics and guitar players as one of the greatest and most innovative lead guitarists of his generation. Have you actually listened to the album and in particular the solo of the title track? its an incredible use of various guitar techniques and scales...
    josh w c
    this an awesome album that grows on you slowly - i really like tom verlaine's vocals but its a shame he can't play lead guitar to save his life. really intelligent album where every part of the music just slots in nicely. have they got any other albums?