Marquee Moon Review

Television: Marquee Moon
Released: 1977
Label: Elektra
Genres: Punk, Proto-Punk, New York Punk, American Punk
Marquee Moon is a revolutionary album, but it's a subtle, understated revolution.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.6
 9.2
 9.9
Marquee Moon Reviewed by: voicebox101, on december 07, 2006

Sound: I love this band. The label punk seams not to fit them to well though, it does apply to the scene they cam from though. They literaly built the stage a CBGB's. The sound is strikingly clear, almost like a bluenote jazz record. The guitars are clean, yet powerful and articulately ballanced. Not to many studio effects, just some double tracking on some of the solos to beef them up. // 10

Lyrics: Verlaine came to New York to become a poet, but found being in a band would be easier. The lyrics seam to have meaning, but only if you listen to the story he's telling in songs like marquee moon will you get the message I think he's trying to send. All in all, I couldn't have chosen better lyrics to go with the music (or vice versa). // 8

Overall Impression: What can I say? I've never heard anything quite like Television. It's soothing and it's just a great package, I don't know how I lived without this album, it's realy great for anyone who has a good appreciation of music. I love it. If it were stolen, I would probably beat the person who took it, then make them a copy, because it's that good. // 9

Marquee Moon Reviewed by: ChordMonger, on september 24, 2005

Sound: Sounds is very dry, some interesting chords, syncopated beats & overall b--chin-ness. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are virtually flawless. Verlaine pulls off his angst-fill words with gusto. The imigery of the lyrics is really wha tpulls it together 'The cadillac pulled out of the graveyard/the man said 'get in'/the cadillac went back into the graveyard/and me, I got out again'. Pretty awesome stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is brilliant, a true masterwork, and a shame that more people scatch their heads when you tell them Television is a band. If I had the godly ability to do so, I would magic up a copy of this album for everyone! If this were ever stolen from me, I'd hunt down the wanker who stole it, and take his money ot pay for the album again, because it's that good. Happy listening! // 9

Comments