Temple of the Dog review by Temple of the Dog

• Released: Sep 30, 2016
Temple of the Dog: Temple of the Dog

The sound on this particular album is very good. The producer performed well especially since this album was only a part-time project for Chris Cornell. Temple of the Dogs only CD was a tribute to Mother Love Bone frontman, Andrew Wood. Chris Cornell and Andrew Wood were room mates at one point and upon hearing of Wood's heroin overdose, Cornell wrote Say Hello 2 Heaven. Soundgarden was on tour at the time of Wood's death so Cornell was left alone to deal with this personal trajedy. While on tour Cornell also wrote the song Reach Down. Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard were also members of Temple of the Dog. This album was released before Pearl Jam's Ten came out and Eddie Vedder performed background vocals on several tracks. The songs on this album are generally much lighter than those of Soundgarden, however, Chris Cornell's god-like belting vocals shine throughout.

Chris Cornell is an gifted lyricist. All the songs on the album were fueled by the emotions felt by Cornell after Wood's death, therefore, making them quite powerful songs. Chris Cornell's vocals on this record were near perfect.The lyrics on this album deal with drug abuse, particularly abuse with heroin, as heard in Times of Trouble.

Seeing that Temple of the Dog contains members from both Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, it makes sense that there are some influences from each band. Say Hello 2 Heaven features very powerful emotional singing from Cornell which was quite impressive. Reach Down, a dramatic 11 minute thriller was quite a pleasent suprise. I have no complaints about any of the songs on this album. If it were stolen I would buy it again ASAP.

Hungry_Hameds
    koolfoolinapool wrote: Mercury was good, but he was no Cornell. He didn't even have half the range Cornell does and couldn't deliver it as powerfully as Cornell.
    Er... no. Cornell is an outstanding singer, but Mercury had the greatest rock voice, right up until Queens last recorded work as a 4-piece, when he was dying from AIDS. To be able to belt out the level of vocals he did at age 45 and not being able to work for more than 4 hours per day as he was so ill, was astounding. I think it is right that Cornell is mentioned in the same company as Mercury, but I think the man from Zanzibar is the greatest. Plus it will be interesting to see if Cornell can still hit those notes with Soundgarden reforming, as a lot of people think his voice is going the way of Robert Plant's...
    okeytokey
    it's December 2010 and this album is now 20 years worth of the greatest listening a music fan can listen to. Each time I hear Chris sing I thank God for not allowing headphones and Black Sabbath from stealing all of my hearing. His voice is so moving I can't compare it to anyone. I am in my 50's and this album dominates my IPOD. Having the great pleasure of being alive and an avid listener to rock since the Beatles were together along with Jimi,Janis, Morrison and all the greats of rock music, this band, each and every one of them having been from the same area and loosing a friend had played at a level like no other has acheived. There are no weak tracks, no near misses. This project is the life blood of a bunch of guys that were really hurting and thankful at the same time. though their respective bands reached great success, this is their finest, this is the holy grail of listening pleasure!
    blockwood
    I lol'd at this:
    All you've done is tell us your personal opinion with some history thrown in...maybe back it up with some technical statements next time? But i rolf'd at this:
    his lyrics are great, not as good as Kurt's
    Any other Lyrics > Kurt's lyrics