Truth Is... review by Ten After Two

• Released: Mar 28, 2011
Ten After Two: Truth Is...

I bought this album a while back, but just really started listening to it. First off the production is not the best. There is a constant buzz in all the songs. There isn't a storyline to the album, but there is a hint of anxiety in almost every song. Ten After Two is like Woe, Is Me but more punky and write about different things entirely. I like the punk element with the singing, it offers a sound that keeps the listener wanting more. This is best shown in the song "Before You Know It".

I'll be honest, the lyrics are not original, and the lyrics are repeated by the clean vocalist and the screamer. The lyrics are somewhat corny at times, but TAT pulls it off. The screamer does a thing with his voice where he goes from talking into a high scream, which always gets me. The clean singer doesn't have a crazy good range, but he gets the job done. The lyrics almost always go with the song, in "Satans Slumber Party" the guitar has a sinister sound to it. "I've never felt so alone or so alive, I call this one my favorite strain, the ambulance showed up too late". The song "Anxious" has to fit the best out of all of them. You can almost feel the anxiety while listening to this song. It is one of the more creative songs on this album. But it is one of the only well written songs on the album.

As far as music goes they can be compared to Woe, Is Me. But lyrically they have nothing in common. "Before You Know It", "Anxious", "Well, Oh Well", "Sight At Sea" and "The Awe Song" are the better songs on the album. I was most disappointed by "Dead After Dallas" the music in this song is very well written. The screams and singing sound good, but the lyrics are just terrible. Out of the whole song the last 30 seconds is the only part with somewhat tolerable lyrics. The production for this album was just pitiful. The drums have terrible quality and the rhythm guitars are too muddy. I have seen TAT live and they sounded better live then on this CD. When this band goes to Joey Sturgis or Caleb Shomo the band will sound so much better. If it were stolen, I would buy it again. Dismissing the buzzing and the drums and the muddy guitars, it really is a great album. I would recommend this to a fan of Woe, Is Me or Secrets.

iommi600
    lol, I misread the title and thought it was Ten Years After... btw, I don't really enjoy this kind of music, but good review, I guess.