Tenacious D review by Tenacious D

• Released: Sep 25, 2001
Tenacious D: Tenacious D

Tenacious D may soundlike a bad idea, a movie star (Jack Black) fronting his own band (or duo) hybrid of a short lived American TV show but its not. The self proclaimed 'Greatest Band in the World' could just be that and once you throw Dave Grohl on drum duties, Steve McDonald on bass and the Dust Brothers on production it can't hurt their greatness. Jack Black is a rock star (see High Fidelity and School of Rock) he wails with variety with a touch of old school AC/DC nostalgia. Kyle Gass on lead guitar provides decent melodies and riffs. You've probably all heard Tribute and Wonderboy which are both wicked songs but its also tracks such as Explosivo, Rock Your Socks, Double Team and Kielbasa that rock. The problem with The D album is that a lot of the tracks are way to short, although awesome they end as soon as you want more. Lee is a great simple song lasting ony a minute, as is Dio and Karate, I'm left wanting more.

Jables and Rage Kage provide us with some pretty damn good songs. The great thing about the D album is their comic slant at the whole rock and roll genre. The album is littered with skits in between songs providing dialogue between the D. They discuss important issues such as inward singing, cock pushups and how women don't always want to be F***ed hard. I find it education... In the actual songs, the lyrics are just as funny particularly in Kielbasa, Double Team, Rock Your Socks and City Hall. There is no hint at childhood suffering, being dumped (although there is reference to being dumped on...), being in love or any of that deep song writing mastered by others. The D are rock and roll concerned with drugs, sex, satan and... Lee? Lyrics - awesome.

Tenacious D is diffeent and original but old fashioned through the hard rock genre of yesteryear. A toned down fusion between AC/DC and Led Zep. It's as funny as hell but at times tracks are too short. You need to buy it because Jack Black is a genius and KG's pretty nimble with his fingers. If I lost it I would buy it again but then I do have it recorded on my computer. It's the sort of album you'll listen to and get into, then you'll leavie it for a couple of months only to rediscover how great the D really are. Let's hope a 2nd album comes out of them. Long live the D!