Tenacious D review by Tenacious D

• Released: Sep 25, 2001
Tenacious D: Tenacious D

Tenacious D. Whether you love 'em or hate 'em you know who they are. The duo consisits of well known actor-turned-tenacious Jack Black and his long time friend Kyle Gass. They realesed their self-titled debut album a couple of years ago, which didn't exactly fall upon deaf ears. The unlikely success of this group was overcame by their pure talent; lyrically and musically. The brains behind the guitars is found in KG (Kyle Gass), who taught Jack how to play his first tasty riffs. He himself was clasically trained, which is described in more hilarious detail with their song "Rock Your Socks Off." The group began together in an actor's club known as "The Actors Club." Seriously. Most of the other actors involved expressed their music genius also, as seen in "Mr. Show With Bob And David." The duo hit it off and soon debuted their material in their own show; "The Tenacious D Show." It only ran through 6 hilarious mini-episodes before they called it quits to pursue musical oppurtunities. They then produced "Tenacious D," their self-titled debut album. The album is filled with second-to-second shananagans and antics, but also seems to put forth catchy tunes that are sure to find their way to a constant loop through your head. Great for those who need a good laugh every now and again.

The lyrics in this album are guranteed to make your sides hurt with laughter! Such lyrics as "I love you baby, but all I can think about is Keilbasa Sausage! Your butt cheeks is warm." Granted this album wasn't made for the faint of heart, or anybody under the age of 18 for that matter, as expressed through its 'Parental Advisory' label. Good for adults, great for those under-aged, if you catch my drift.

Is it just me, or could we all use a little bit more "D" in our lives? I purchased this album when it came out about 2 years ago. Now before I begin, I know there is alot of Tenacious haters out there who give JB and KG absolutley no rock-credibility, simply based on the fact that they are actors. Worse; comedians. Let me tell you something folks, Kyle Gass can play one mean guitar, along side his 'life-partner' Jack Black. Although their songs may be quite simple and easily learned, they did write all of their own material. You might be surprised to find your feet tapping along with their hilarious tunes about 30 seconds into the beginning of the album. Their first song; "Keilbasa Sausage" is guaranteed to get all of your funny bones worked out before heading into the "One Note Song." It's somewhat of a commentary, where JB (Jack Black) writes a song conisting of one song. Funny stuff! This album is refreshing in the sense that they aren't just hitting you hard every track with a head-banging ballad, and also aren't forcing you to weep either. Other skit-songs include "3 Kings," "Karate," and "Hard F--king," which leads into of course, "FHG." This self-titled debut album is practically exploding with funky riffs and joy-envoking lyrics. A definate reccomended buy for those fans of Jack Black's other works. Even if you aren't a fan I suggest you check it out, as again, you may just be surprised. "What do you mean it isn't non-stop? Of course it's non-stop! Always nay-saying!" - Jack Black. Thanks for reading my review, but what are you doing here still? Go out and shower yourself with a load of the D's "Rocket Sauce" (now available in stores).