The Pick of Destiny review by Tenacious D

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny

The long awaited album of the world's greatest band is finally here. The verdict: a fantastic CD brimming with catchy tunes, great musicianship and an in-your-face style humour so typical of the dynamic duo Tenacious D. As before, Jack Black returns on lead vocals where he, unsuprisingly, shines and his partner in crime, Kyle Gass, reminds us of his accomplished acoustic guitar skill mixing acoustic rock with flourishs of flaminco. Former Nirvana drummer, Dave Grohl, returns to offer, not only his magnificent drumming skill, but also the voice of the terrifying demon in the song "Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)". John Spiker performs the bass and the clarinet and John Konesky gives his all to the electric guitar. We're in for a treat as Meat Loaf and the former Black Sabbath singer Ronnie James Dio both sing in the album's opening track "Kickapoo". The sound of the album itself is somewhat more varied compared to the band's first self-titled album. We hear the classic Tenacious D sound in songs like "Kickapoo", "Destiny" and "History" with a mixture of the two species of guitar. However, in songs like "Break In-City (Storm The Gate)" and "Car Chase City" the rock is purely confined to the electric. In short: not the pure Tenacious D sound. This may come as a disapointment to the die-hard D fans but rest assured, there is plenty of the old style D to savour. It is important to mention that this album was released as a soundtrack to the Tenacious D film "The Pick Of Destiny". For this reason, some of the tracks seem to tell a story to which the listener has to use their imagination. They almost seem set to a storyline which is not suprising. The sound is amazing as Kage and Jables remind us of why the are the greatest band on earth.

Predictably, the lyrics are based more on humour than true life stories or personal anguishes. JB concentrates mostly on bringing the point across that this band holds all power and they will rock you. "I did not mean to blow your mind. But that shit happens to me all of the time". That line seems to sum up the theme of the lyrics. You will be in stitchs a lot of the time. One of my fovourite set of lyrics of this album is those of "The Government Totally Sucks". They seem to say what every single anti-government song ever written is saying but in much more straight forward way. "The government totally sucks you motherf--ker" and "If we can all hold hands together we can bring back the U.S.A." Jables does show his softer side (kinda) with songs like "Baby" and "Dude(I Totally Miss You)" Still though, there is still a Tenacious D slant on them and are not "Come back to me I love you etc." We hear too much of that anyway. Jack delivers each and every song with supreme talant. On songs like "Master Exploder" his work is nothing short of amazing. One of the few actors who can actually sing as well.

Although this album differs from their first, "The Pick Of Destiny" is deserves to be classed the same as it's predecessor as it shows that Tenacious D are still out their rocking our socks off. Different but just as good in it's own right. My favourite songs are "Kickapoo", "Classico" (for the guitar work alone), "The Government Totally Sucks", "Master Exploder", "Car Chase City" and "P.O.D. (Pick Of Destiny)." The rest of the album could easily make that list as well though because they all are fantastic. I was trilled with the inclusion of "History" a song that fans of the Tenacious D HBO shows will remember. If I ever lost it or some son of a gun stole it I would sob for an hour, demand a state funeral and buy it again. Love live the D and the Pick of Destiny.

universeatwar
    Only disappointing thing for me was that it's only about a half an hour long.. But that hasnt stopped me from listening to it non stop since it came out.
    Alibi:Destroyed
    I loved the CD. It has great guitar work on it. The only thing I wish was that the lyrics were more like their first CD. All that set aside it is still one of my favorite CD's.
    THE BULGE
    im really dissapointed like there are no classics on it like on tenacious d and im not talking tribute or wonderboy im talking city hall and the road all so amazing and the little things in the old album like in the song city hall when cage sings 'tube technology' in the background when i noticed that i was in histerics for about an hour-look out for it its great
    Mcleody
    This is a great album - i love it - only thing is its very short, not as funny as the first album - and has the word F**K every 30 seconds - but this album rocks serious ass