The Pick of Destiny review by Tenacious D

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny

For those expecting a repition of the debut album: you will be disappointed. This album is a soundtrack, 100%. It presents a storyline, the greatest storyline of all time. I fully expected to split my sides laughing during this album, but that didn't happen. Instead, I was rocked. And rolled. The rock on this album competes with some of the best songs ever made. Tenacious D have gone above and beyond just comedy rock, and have ascended to a higher plane of rocking. While still incredibly hilarious, your spine will probably be shivering too much from the sheer scale of epic in this album to appreciate the comedy. When I first heard the starting track, "Kickapoo", I sweated and felt cold and gripped my seat and when it finished, I literally screamed at my monitor. Young JB's song is more rocking than actually possible, and then bam out comes the Meatloaf, the Dio, and the epic riff. When you hear the riff, you forget what you learned in 5th grade, and those memories are replaced with large quantities of lesbian sex. Then, JB's simple "raa" parts show off his true talent. That's just the start. "Kickapoo", "Beelzeboss" and "Master Exploder" are the highlights of this album. "Beelzeboss" was my favourite, as the hilarity of Satan coupled with the sheer awesomeness of the D's rock-off and subsequent "We are The D" line gave me inspiration to Rock until the end of time.

Clear, Hilarious, and Skillful are 3 words that describe JB's lyrics. Try not to be inspired through the entire exchange between JB and Dio. Try not to marvel at the amazing harmony between JB and KG during "History". Just try not to feel so damn rocked during "Beelzeboss" that you go outside and with one crotch-thrust, impregnate every female within 6 miles of your house. It will be impossible. The lyrics are easy to remember, because they make you want to. They're clever, funny and heart-stopping. Everyone expected the lyrics to be full of expletives and sexual acts; not many people expected them to be so awe-inspiringly clever and inspirational.

This album shows Tenacious D's huge amount of talent. They went and made a few songs that are better than any song most bands will ever make. "Kickapoo" and "Beelzeboss" are honestly 2 of the top 10 songs of all time. The way I felt when I heard Stairway to Heaven or Freebird? That was freaking awesome. However, neither of them compare. The only, only complaint I can think of this album is that it isn't long enough, which just means that I love it so much. I would have liked a 7-hour movie with a 7-hour soundtrack, but that's me. Just bye the damn album already. You don't know what you're missing. Even if you dislike the D, just open your mind and listen to a couple of the songs, for the rock.