The Pick of Destiny review by Tenacious D

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny

Right, Tenacious D's new album, is not what I expected. But don't get me wrong, I don't mean it in a bad way. It's just that, it's not a D-esque as I would have thought. But it still rocks your socks off. I feel that we get a softer side of Black And Gass, in songs such as Baby and Dude (I totally miss you). They are the more quieter ones, but not in a FHG kind of way. You also get to hear the musical talents of Ronnie James Dio, Meatloaf, Dave Ghrol, Lyam Lynch, John Spiker, John Konesky and John King. Again, Black and Gass wrote all the songs, with the help of Lynch, King and Spiker.

The lyrics on the new album are quite adventurous, but relate heavily to the film. a lot of people have seemed to think that these are random songs, put in any order, but this is the order they come on the film. The songs, in order: 01. Kickapoo - this is a great song, both to start the albuma nd the film, it introduces the story, and it has meatloaf and Dio on it, so it's got to be good. 02. Classico - even tho half the song is filled with Blacks well known skat lyrics, you here that he idolises Gass "cant you see he's the man, let me here you applaud, he is more than a man, he's a shiney golden god" In the film, this links in as it's just after he met Gass on venice beach. 03. Baby - it took me a while to get used to the light accoustic of this song, but it shows the more emotional (not emo) side of Black, missing his mother. 04. Destiny - the main bit of this song, is from the HBO shorts and they have put it in as a kind of side track, which they done on the original album. 05. History - written for the shorts on HBO, again, has been braught back, as it was not on the self titled album. This says how Tenacious D have become kings among rock men, and also how supreme they are. 06. The Government Totally Sucks - it's funny as it takes the piss out of governments, but the lyrics of it I don't think work too well. It is too random. But there is a cool slow bit in the end, which pulls on the heart strings. 07. Master Exploder - the song is amazing, as it shows off Blacks awesome vocal's and Gass's expert guitar playing. The lyrics come just after they find the pick of destiny. 08. The Divide - like "Inward SInging" on the first album, it shows how Gass leaves the band for somthing stupid, just not as funny. Nothing too good here. 09. Papagenu (He's My Sassafrass) - this is probably the most f--ked up song on the album, It's when Black gets stoned and starts hallucinating, and finds the sasquatch, (HBO shorts again) but a little more in depth on the film, but the lyrics don't make sense ans it's random, tho Black does state this in the epic bit at the end. 10. Dude (I Totally Miss You) - I personally don't like this song, it's too depressing, and it doesnt't suit Blacks Vioce, the lyrics arnt that cool either, the only upside is the cool Accoustic solo/power solo but it's ruined by Black moaning in the background. 11. Break In-city (Storm The Gate) - a fast and furious song about breking into a mansion and stealing stuff. The lyrics are basically a narrative of what Black is doing at the time. 12. Car Chase City - a lot like Break In-City (Storm The Gate) it's very narrative based. Good riffs and lyric though. 13. Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown) - lyrically the best, as it's an immense broth of hard rock, accoustic and power metal lyrics and riffs, with a big side order of Dave Ghrol, who strains his voice to an extrme to create a hellish devilness of evil. 14 POD - the song about the film, it is The Pick Of Destiny, tho the song does go on about being in a movie, but it does tell you how the pick of destiny was made (the pick being the devils tooth). 15. The Metal - sounds great on vinyl, but not so good on CD, for some reason. But it is just a piss around song, nothing special, lyrics about how nothing can defeat metal. Overall it is a good album, with a couple of flaws.

It does not compare to othe other album that Tenacious D done, as it is a soundtrack really, not album based music, but film. Which is good in a different way. The best song is definatly Beelzeboss, as it's lyrically the best and musically the best. The songs are great, almost, but that's standard for albums like this. I have the album on my comp, so it would bother me too much. Overall, I find I can listen to it for a while, but it does get boring.