The Pick of Destiny review by Tenacious D

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny

Jack Black, Kyle Gass, Tenacious D, but this time around they are joined by the likes of Dave Grohl, Meatloaf and Dio. The story of the movie this is the soundtrack to is that the D must find a magical pick (the pick of destiny) which will make them famous and cool. The new Tenacious D album has more electric guitars than the last album, which some older fans may not appreciate. Personally I like the new sound, songs like Beelzeboss and The Metal are both rockin' and funny. One of my favourite songs is Classico, which is the songs Bouree, Fur Elise and a couple more which are memorable - but I can't remember them, all mixed together, with some excellent fingerpicking from KG. The opening track Kickapoo features Meatloaf as JB's father and Dio as a Dio poster. Dave Grohl drums on many tracks and features as the Devil on Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown), in which The D have a rockoff against the devil. It was quite disapointing to find there was only 30 minutes of music on this new album, but all of it is good, though if you don't really like harder rock, it would probably be better to stay away from the newer album, though some tracks are still acoustic, it's probably not enough, expecially with the small run time, to be worth buying it.

Yet again JBs lyrics are funny and feature another f-word a lot. Classico and Master Exploder shows his great range (though in Master exploder he does show a massive range, which IS funny, but must be done by editing. If it is real then wow). The lyrics are sang very well but compared to the debut album there's probably less humour. At the end of some of the songs I believe there's little bits of dialogue from the film. If you enjoyed skits like Drive-Thru and Karate Schnitzel from the original album, you won't be very satisfied by these little bits of dialogue as they only last about 10 seconds at most.

Compared to the original album, I would say it is heavier, more instrumentals and there is a lot less content. The best songs on the album are probably Kickapoo (featuring Dio and Meatloaf), Classico, Master Exploder, Beelzeboss, Break In City (Storm The Gate) and The Metal. History is the old song from their HBO series which aired in around 1999, so if you heard that, there's nothing new apart from a little bit of changed lyrics, but I listened to the ending, and there's no ridiculous little girl scream near the end, which I found to be the best bit of the whole song. The Metal has a great part where the music stops and they just sing this little scat kind of vocals, which is very funny. I love the new heavier sound but I still want some more of the old skits and general funnies. If it was stolen or lost I would probably buy it again, as the new songs are really cool and you can just listen through the whole album and find it cool without skipping songs.

C3_Rocka
    You are all wrong. This is the best major motion picture of the year. I'd have Jable's babies, and I'm a dude.
    Vin2254
    ( o )===# wrote: Wierd. Remember the scene on School of Rock when he talked about the "MAN" and MTV ****ed it all up? Funny to what he is doing right now.
    That was a movie. Hes been in movies sponsored by mtv.
    Pirate_Si
    This album is Definatly easier to listen too. The first album (great as it was) had a lot of talking, which meant that most of the songs were skipped for the music. The second album is definatly better in that respect.