The Pick of Destiny review by Tenacious D

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny

This Album/Film Soundtrack is one of the best albums I've ever heard. If you've never heard of these two guys, go watch all 6 HBO episodes, get the first album, buy the complete Masterworks, see the film and then buy this album. Kyle Gass is one of the best guitarists around, and should be acknowledged more for being so. While some tracks are just acoustic, for example, "Baby" and "History" (a song from HBO) they are still as good as tracks such as "Kickapoo", "Break-In City" or "The Metal" (a song any guitar Hero player will know) which feature a full band. What more can I say? The sound this album makes is not just comedy, but also great rock.

Once again, Jack Black delivers some powerful vocals on songs such as "Master Exploder" and "Car Chase City", and Kyle's an unrecognised singer too. The incredible duo's singing combined with Dace Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, etc.) for the climax of the film makes for my favourite song on the album, "Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)." You can also expect the same comedic lines you heard on the bands self-named first album, but more emphasis on a story on this album. Overall, JB's vocals are going to blow your mind.

I'd say it surpasses the bands first album, but needs to be much longer (15 tracks). The most impressive songs on the album, are the whole thing. I love how it fuses raw comedy with a great tale and some great guitar Shreds from Black, Gass, and John Konesky. If it was stolen or lost, I'd buy 7 more, one for each day of the week.

J.J.G.
    this CD offers hilarious lyrics combined with a really tasty lead guitar. will it blow your mind? well if you turn your speakers to max then yeah you may have serious problems
    Sanitarium91
    I just checked out Master Exploder, and if JB is really doing all that with his voice, without any machine or anything, he's f--cking amazing. His voice is just so great in all the songs. Tribute is still the best song by them and will always be.