The Pick of Destiny review by Tenacious D

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny

The D's sound in this album just flows so well. Kyles acoustic mastery almost merges with Jack Black's voice in songs like Classico, History, and The Government Totally Sucks. While in a lot of other songs the sound is just epic, and it hardly ever falters. In some of the songs the sound changes(very rapidly) from one style of music to another. This keeps listeners ready to see what the next part of the song will be like. Although in Papagenu (He's my Sassafrass)the yelling in the begining can be annoying if you have seen the movie then yo'll know what it's about. All in all the sound was mind blowing.

I'm going to be honest the lyrics weren't that deep, but hey they don't have to be because the hilariousness of the songs make up for that. And the lyrics weren't pointless either. They were sraightforward and made sense, mostly. The way Jables sings is just crazy, he takes it to a whole other level above singing. He will match pitch to KG's guitar so well. The lyrics were pretty good, and they reflect they bands struggle to obtain the POD.

The overall impression of the album was almost to much to handle. And in comparison to other bands it's kind of hard because Tenacious D has really interesting riff's and solos. I have heard some people say te D is a Tribute to Dio, and I could see that, but you can't really say which is better cause they are both f--king amazing. The best song in my opinion would be Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown). I love how this album is almost like a musical in that the songs are connected by a big story. Yes indeed this album was a natural face melter.

SERIALTRENDKILL
    I love the part where Dio comes out, it owns haha. its crazy, Jack Black loves all the same shit as me, he's definetely a metal head but the music he makes is ridiculous. its completely different haha. which is arguably why Ten. D is even more bad ass. and Gass can shred out some serious chords lol. nevertheless, they are hilarious.
    Tenacious Z
    This album suffers from being a soundtrack instead of a straight up album of new songs. Still some righteous songs on it, though.
    GoldSoundzUKNZ
    it's weird out of context with the film, but still cool. a bit short though... i paid $30 for mine, so that's about $2 a song, some of which are less than a minute!
    git-airman
    i dont have the alabum but ill probably get it. the only thing is, you cant claim the album isnt very good musically because its a comedy rock album and isnt supposed to be like a musically perfected album.
    DGblackz
    I like this album better than the first one, but my favorite song is still Tribute.
    justin_croemita
    For those who didnt like the movie, maybe its cause they dont catch the geniously funny movie they are missing,They totally rock and dont be confused that the album is in the genre of comedy rock, it really surpass to a new level, and those who say that the song are simple, get away cause KG is really an underrated and they also rock because they make simple things ROCK!the songs are gems thought they some are short, but lets take it down:they are so varied and still so connected there is no doubt that JB and KG are musicians on their own, the band would not need JB's fame to be so high rated!!!!!love it, and see the movie!!!!!
    arlojbaker
    stupid lyrics that are made to go along with the movie but once you get past that it captures that epic metal feel. fun cd but nothing ill remember in 10 years from now