Into The Now review by Tesla

• Released: Mar 9, 2004
Tesla: Into The Now

I am finally beginning to realize how amazing Tesla is as a band. "Into The Now" is a showcase for their best work yet. Although all members are well past 35, the music itself does not display lack of energy. Being the first album in ten years, and with all of the original members, Tesla continues on with more maturity in their writing and style, however, that doesn't mean they are "alternative" and "boring." They are straight up rock n' roll! There sound is nothing too new and original, yet, the songs themselves are better than ever with a few fresh twists. At times the record seemed over-produced to me, but then again, I prefer the untamed "garage band" sound at times.

Being Tesla, you expect a fair number of ballads, and this holds true with "Into the Now." Although Tesla was unfairly clumped into the garbage pile that is "hair metal," they display some attributes, such as power ballads, that help to explain why. I'm not complaining however, the ballads are the best part about Tesla, thanks in great part to the emotionally powerful vocals of Jeff Kieth. Also being one of the chief songwriters, Jeff Kieth portrays his feelings about the issues expressed in the songs wonderfully. With a Steven Tyler like rasp, he makes you feel the emotions behind every song. The lyrics themselves are well written, with a good variety of themes, ranging from "Mighty Mouse," to my personal favorite, "Only You," which also shows Kieth's true capabillities as a singer.

This is by far the best album by one of the most underappreciated bands of the last century. If you are a fan of Tesla, or rock music in general, you will absolutely love this album. The introduction track, "Into the Now," is a great pump-it-up type song that encompasses Frank Hannon and Tommy Skeotch's true talents as dueling guitarists. They are one of my favorite guitar duos. As previously mentioned, Jeff Kieth shines through gloriously on vocals throughout the entire CD. One of my favorite tracks is "Miles Away." I know it is a commonly used name and theme, yet this is no common track. It dislplays a wide variety of styles all in one song with contradicting slow and melodic to fast and metallic. This album is truly one that every headbanger should have in their collection.

Lynchworm
    Great CD. Also saw them live after the release of this CD and they were phenomenal live. One of the best concerts I have seen.
    mikeygtr13
    I've been listening to Tesla since they started and they rock. unfortunately they were considered part of the hair bands, but they are true straight ahead rock n roll. They have replaced Kiss as my all time favorite band. I still like the older stuff from Kiss but they lost me when they continue to tour after they said they wouldn't. Telsa rocks from their rockers to their ballads, they can't be beat. Listen to all their albume in order and you too will be convinced.
    mikeygtr13
    mikeygtr13 wrote: I've been listening to Tesla since they started and they rock. unfortunately they were considered part of the hair bands, but they are true straight ahead rock n roll. They have replaced Kiss as my all time favorite band. I still like the older stuff from Kiss but they lost me when they continue to tour after they said they wouldn't. Telsa rocks from their rockers to their ballads, they can't be beat. Listen to all their albums in order and you too will be convinced.