Concealing Fate review by TesseracT

• Released: Oct 12, 2010
TesseracT: Concealing Fate

Think to 2003 when 3 guitarists on a forum website had ideas to create a new style of progressive music. From this, 3 bands rose in a new wave of music described only as "djent": Fellsilent, Periphery and TesseracT. During the 7 year gap up till now, only Fellsilent had any success and has since split up. Periphery only released their debut this year and now TesseracT has released this highly anticipated EP, "Concealing Fate". The demos promised highly ambient, atmospheric and technical metal coupled with varying textures of heavy and soft material which frankly, sounded too good to be true. Well, the EP has definitely lived up to this expectation. As well as having incredibly precise, powerful and well calculated instrumentation, there's this whole other canvas of music that is explored with vocalist Dan Tompkins and the creative brain of lead guitarist and overall mastermind Acle Kahney. Along each rhythmic guitar line, there is a sublime backdrop of ambient effects, clean guitar and heavy atmosphere. A simple idea that's pulled of masterfully and when accompanied by Mr Tompkins's soaring voice creates a concoction for euphoria. Anything negative to add? Nothing major, I'd say that the poppy/slapping bass style doesn't fit much in with the sound but it appears for very brief moments and does nothing to upset the music or mood. The songs all meld into one another so to make sense of the entire EP you'll need to listen to the songs in order. Not only that, but songs like "Deception" and "The Impossible" contain riffs and structures of both songs together, and this trend within the rest of the EP makes it feel like one really long song... which, when the music is this good, is nothing to complain about.

After not being able to record full material with original vocalist Abisola Obasanya (because he lived in France), Acle Kahney found Dan Tompkins from Prog/post-hardcore band First Signs Of Frost. First impressions weren't very pleasing but that was mental prejudice getting in the way. Tompkins has a voice suited for your average metalcore band, but his voice is far from average. While it would sound like pure sonic venom in any other band, in TesseracT it's an entirely different feel. Let's just say that this band can meld melody with a master crafting hand and there are very few vocalists who would fit in the same way as Daniel does with this band. Chester Bennington and that guy from Threat Signal would gain a lot if they were to learn from Daniel. Lyrics are special too, although entirely abstract and without a definitive story/theme. They are simplistic and suitably robust for the music. From "Deception" (or the song formally known as Deception Part 2): "So my demons Your time has come You and I both entwined How refined an encounter You ignite within my mind with one desire" Apart from SOME of the vocal performance in the song "Perfection" which was somewhat clich (the very bad sort of clich), there is not really much else to say.

All good things come to those who wait and 7 years is a bloody long time to wait. Century Media being the corporate mongrels they are (well, not really but a record label's a record label) and having pushed back TesseracT's debut album "One" till (ARRRG) next year, "Concealing Fate" is the closest we'll get to near-perfection. Comparable bands? Ha, I laugh at your face, guidelines. Oh alright: Periphery and CiLiCe are the only two bands with a grip of the idea that TesseracT have total control over. While both are melodious and equally technical, there's still too much of the "ObZen" floating the mechanical and amelodic riffing in Periphery while CiLiCe doesn't have any sense of being epic and is more of a headbang ritual. TesseracT command it all however and it's obvious those 7 years weren't wasted. I don't have anything to hate about this EP at all, it's what TesseracT promised to deliver and that's what it is. It's an experiment that succeeded on so many levels and can only serve as a hook and bait for listeners who've been waiting for the debut album, which is probably the only bad thing to say about it. Songs to check out: As the EP is one grand song... You'll have to listen to it all.

\m/(-_-)\m/
    illuminatiano wrote: mishax92 wrote: Die in a fire. This new wave of modern progressive metal is by far superior to the generic tech death metal of old, especially in tone, articulation and songwriting. Sure, I still like my Cynic, Atheist, etc every now and then, but to me, bands like Periphery, TesseracT, Scar Symmetry, etc are taking those ideas further, and doing them right. haha holy **** this isn't progressive at all, this band is ok but most of the genre is based off chugging the bottom string of an 8 string guitar, trying to come up with as many different polymeters as possible (calling them polyrhythms on top of that), having terrible close to being auto-tuned singers nasally squeal and sometimes attempt at a really shitty growl. I fail to see how this is progressive in any way shape or form, it's like taking all the shittiest elements from different things and blending them together to create a vile cocktail of stinking shite.
    This guy obviously didn't listen to the EP. That's a shame.
    Disturbdkornkid
    ProgJazzMath wrote: Disturbdkornkid wrote: My buddy told me about these guys recently. Gotta check them out. But I agree with the 'Meshuggah does it best" comments, but I will judge after I listen to this album. You can't say Meshuggah does it best, because these guys aren't the same as Meshuggah. The two bands just hold similarities. Tesseract is way more melodic and technical than Meshuggah, while Meshuggah is almost eerie and also technical, but not in the Tesseract fashion. Two great bands none the less, but I don't think a comparison such as that is necessary.
    Touche sir, and I agree 100%.
    ProgJazzMath
    illuminatiano wrote: mishax92 wrote: Die in a fire. This new wave of modern progressive metal is by far superior to the generic tech death metal of old, especially in tone, articulation and songwriting. Sure, I still like my Cynic, Atheist, etc every now and then, but to me, bands like Periphery, TesseracT, Scar Symmetry, etc are taking those ideas further, and doing them right.{/quote] I wholeheartedly agree with you. This is seriously a breath of fresh air. The best part about it is that unlike other genres who seem to push out mediocre bands who sound EXACTLY the same to each other, you actually need talent to pull what these guys are pulling off. Therefore you don't have an overrun of shitty bands. [quote]illuminatiano wrote: haha holy **** this isn't progressive at all, this band is ok but most of the genre is based off chugging the bottom string of an 8 string guitar, trying to come up with as many different polymeters as possible (calling them polyrhythms on top of that), having terrible close to being auto-tuned singers nasally squeal and sometimes attempt at a really shitty growl. I fail to see how this is progressive in any way shape or form, it's like taking all the shittiest elements from different things and blending them together to create a vile cocktail of stinking shite.
    Amuro Jay
    guitartilldeath wrote: Meshuggah still does it the best.
    illuminatiano
    ProgJazzMath wrote: mishax92 wrote: Die in a fire. This new wave of modern progressive metal is by far superior to the generic tech death metal of old, especially in tone, articulation and songwriting. Sure, I still like my Cynic, Atheist, etc every now and then, but to me, bands like Periphery, TesseracT, Scar Symmetry, etc are taking those ideas further, and doing them right.{/quote] I wholeheartedly agree with you. This is seriously a breath of fresh air. The best part about it is that unlike other genres who seem to push out mediocre bands who sound EXACTLY the same to each other, you actually need talent to pull what these guys are pulling off. Therefore you don't have an overrun of shitty bands. [quote]illuminatiano wrote: haha holy **** this isn't progressive at all, this band is ok but most of the genre is based off chugging the bottom string of an 8 string guitar, trying to come up with as many different polymeters as possible (calling them polyrhythms on top of that), having terrible close to being auto-tuned singers nasally squeal and sometimes attempt at a really shitty growl. I fail to see how this is progressive in any way shape or form, it's like taking all the shittiest elements from different things and blending them together to create a vile cocktail of stinking shite. It is very progressive in fact. Being progressive means you are thinking outside of the box. Tell me 10 bands that sound exactly like Tesseract, Periphery, Vildjharta or Fell Silent and I will personally give you a blowjob. The catch is, you can't name that. Any other genre you could easily do so. That's the thing though, because you can't be a mediocre band of this sort, it takes so much talent to do so, you will always end up with a band overrun with talent. I respect your opinion, but some of your points were rudely stated and a tad immature. Cheers to all DJENT fans.
    Amuro Jay
    ITT: People think they can outsmart the metal regs. Although, you know as well as I do, illuminatiano, enjoyment is subjective.
    joshjhasarrived
    AdenZerda
    EpiExplorer
    AdenZerda wrote: Honestly I liked the mixing/production style on the demo far better than on the EP. Missing the old vocalist as well. A good listen nonetheless. Part Three rocks my socks.
    Yeah, the old vocalist had a stronger voice, but he lived in another country so they couldn't record or something. I like Dan's because even if its a -core voice its an amazing -core voice (like Guillame Bideau) and has never sounded like Asking Alexandria which every other -core band vocalist does sound like.
    BlisteringDDj
    joshjhasarrived wrote: BlisteringDDj wrote: I hate how people call Meshuggah "Djent". It's not djent at all. Tesseract and Meshuggah are sooooo different! Meshuggah is a genre in itself. I haven't found one band that plays that kind of progressive/math metal. ...You do realize that Meshuggah LITERALLY invented the word djent? In describing their own music?
    I didn't know that, nope. Thanks for pointing that out. But I suppose they were describing the guitar sound, which has been taken to the next level with all these new bands aiming to sound as perfect as possible (in that sense). I guess Meshuggah was just the bridge.
    jburde
    Can't wait to see these guys on tour with Devin Townsend \m/!
    ReaperWaits
    Maybe if you guys stopped trying to work out what genre it was and listened to the music, you might understand why this band got so huge off their own backs, only to be pushed even further by Century Media. Pretty sure Meshuggah have never used "Soaring Vocals" or harmonies as a focal point of their sound.
    ProgJazzMath
    illuminatiano wrote: No it is not overriden with talent. Wanky guitar playing woopdeedoo ? Where's the substance, you know, the part when you start enjoying the music ?
    It's obviously a preference of taste. Define your meaning of wank.
    Night_Lights
    actually it was Bulb (from Periphery) who invented the word. Almost as a joke, but it caught on to describe their style.
    Abom
    Seeing them at the end of the month with Devin Townsend. Going to be sweet as hell.
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    \m/(-_\m/ wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: guitartilldeath wrote: Meshuggah still does it the best. IMO, Meshuggah =/= djent Bands who try to sound like Meshuggah = djent. Although, I don't even consider djent to be a real genre to begin with.
    All they really did was help create the chord style and even then people confuse Djent with the single note groove style that it is today, when it was originally the word that Bulb described the chording style sound on Destroy Erase Improve.
    ProgJazzMath
    What's your point? What hardcore trap did Periphery fall in?
    ProgJazzMath
    What the hell is with the crabcore shit? Anyway, the vocalist does prove them to be at a disadvantage, but you do know that most of the songs on that album were written like upwards of 4 or 5 years ago? It's only now that they have gotten popular people are judging them like this. Back when it was just Bulb, people were legitimately impressed, now it's nothing but shit talk. I really don't get it.
    UK4tw
    All I know is that I use my ears to determine what I enjoy musically, not someone's posture or way of moving in a music video. And I managed to see Tesseract live a few weeks back in Nottingham and they were great, and this EP is great. Over and out.
    illuminatiano
    Echoplex
    kamjam7 wrote: Now we just need Vildjharta's debut. great stuff!
    .Wretch.
    mishax92 wrote: Scar Symmetry
    I love my Scar Symmetry, but since when in the hell were they Djent?
    BlisteringDDj
    I hate how people call Meshuggah "Djent". It's not djent at all. Tesseract and Meshuggah are sooooo different! Meshuggah is a genre in itself. I haven't found one band that plays that kind of progressive/math metal. Tesseract is the only "djent" band I really enjoy. Vocals are great and their breakdowns crush! Periphery is a little too soft for me... And I don't have much respect for the guitarists in the band. They come off so arrogant to me. :/ Looking forward to Tesseract's full lenght debut album!
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    EpiExplorer wrote: \m/(-_\m/ wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: Echoplex wrote: kamjam7 wrote: Now we just need Vildjharta's debut. great stuff! Yeah. They aren't American, so they don't fall into the hardcore trap that Periphery did. What's your point? What hardcore trap did Periphery fall in? Basically the vocalist is the sort of thing that Asking Alexandria would probably be proud of. Also they do the crabcore dance in the 'Icarus Lives' and THAT IS UNFORGIVABLE. I just saw it was you Epi that posted that. My bad, I think we have already have a conversation on Periphery before, so you already know about the Bulb material. I always thought Icarus Lives was their strongest song. You really can't beat that intro riff. The vocalist is nothing special I know, and it doesn't fit their music hardly. I have grown to enjoy it, but you are right. It is something Asking Alexandria would be proud of. Oh no doubt, thats a pretty sweet riff. And the thing with Periphery is that its the forefront of a trend, a rather unique trend that hasn't really done anything other than promise albums and tease us with demos. I mean for me I only got into it last december and already its become rather empty and stale because there are only a handful of decent bands with about half an album between each one. And I dont get the crabcore thing either.. Bulb's a good guitarist and Periphery are obviously a talented bunch but its always going to sell more albums if you do something that every other popular band is doing. But why the crabcore dance I dont know.. makes August Burns Red look really manly when they all look like they've just come out of puberty. And ABR do the crabcore dance too, except the vocalist and obviously the drummer. When does he do any Crabcoring in the video? I watched it but it just looks like he's rocking out to the sweet music. Watch their legs and their bouncing routine thing. Then watch any music video by Attack Attack and you'll see the similarities. Admittedly, Periphery dont do it as bad or as disgracefully, buy they still do it. Thats not really one of the reasons I dont like their music, but its one of the reasons I dont quite like Periphery.
    Idk man, I think you're just being too picky. I don't think they meant it to look like a crabcore dance at all... The whole point of a crabcore dance is to draw attention to yourself, so if they seriously wanted to do it you would clearly see them lined up doing the thing at the same time.
    mr_snuggle
    EpiExplorer wrote: Bout wow, flame war. o.o
    Too true, its a shame so many people are hating on Tesseract and Periphery. I mean yes, taste is completely subjective but you still can't ignore the sheer talent these musicians possess. After seeing Periphery in a live setting they will always be one of my favorite bands, they sounded almost PERFECT; 'twas incredible. Anyway, long story short: unnessecary flame wars over opinions, just listen to the EP and enjoy it because it was impossible for me not to.
    CoreysMonster
    another flame fest about genres and the label of "djent"? For god's sake, people, have you nothing better to do? Can't wait for my copy to arrive! *headbang*
    Aditya_ram
    i much prefer bands like TesseracT and Periphery which have melody and epicness, over Meshuggah which is just too intense and noisy.
    krvolok
    Geometric names give me the creeps...brh.A fitting name none the less.
    Vinushka
    Just checked these guys out and they're great! A lot of bands seem to underestimate the power of clean vocals, but these guys have got a great balance.
    ckragh
    Thank you so much to this reviewer! I love Periphery but haven't heard of CiLiCe so I already bought the album and even listening to the first song, I'm absolutely in love. Love this stuff!
    Disturbdkornkid