One review by TesseracT

• Released: Jan 1, 2011
TesseracT: One

Finally, they released it. If you don't know the story by now, TesseracT are part of the newest wave of everything trendy called "djent" and are among the big hitters at the top. This album "One" has been in the making for nearly 8 years, so you'd hope to see that all this used time is time well spent. In short.. Not quite. In long, its basically just the EP and their demo's re-recorded and updated with "Concealing Fates" (EP) production and two shiny new tracks. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that, its still perfectly good material. TesseracT use polyrhythmic/metric, syncopated grooves and extremely dense melodic structure, using reverbed guitars, synths and stratospheric vocals. This is basically what "djent" is, but every band does it differently and TesseracT do it best. Starting off with one of their 2008 demo tracks "Lament", the intro has been Enya-esqued for a big opening. The familiar faded bass comes in and all groove is unleashed! This is definitely one of TesseracT's better written songs, less about mathematics and more about the headbang, although that bridge will throw you right off. Track 2 "Nascent" is one of the new tracks, this one is so much darker than what TesseracT usually do, closer to Meshuggah than I'd like to admit (even has the eerie atmosphere thing). Although the tonality is basically the same as a recent Meshuggah track, its hard to ignore those vocals over the top. The slap bass is also prominent in this track, highlighting the grooves during "softer" sections. Then its the entirety of the "Concealing Fate" EP ("Deception" through to "Origin") so.. Track back to my previous review of that disc. Oh alright: I think its kind of obvious that the "Concealing Fate" series is on the album and good thing because it holds up the backbone of the album very well. The 6 songs are practically untouched so they remain the same as they did on the EP. After the disc within a disc ("Deception", haha, meme reference), comes the other two early demo tracks, "Sunrise" and "April Song" renamed "April". Sunrise has actually been re-written and arranged in some areas, although its pretty recognisable to fans. The groove is so catchy, as is the melody, although it fit the old vocalist better. "April" is one of my personal favourite TesseracT songs, the original had a better sound but there's a lot added in the newer version that improves it in other ways. "Eden" is the final track and the other "new" track. Well, my word, where did their originality go. Okay, well apart from the intro being a direct Periphery homage, its actually a good song as it progressively gets better and better as it continues.

Dan Tompkins, bless his awful awful hairdo, really roasts his lungs out on this. If you've ever seen him live (I have), you'd be really stunned at how much effort goes into his performance, although the Ricky Martin look could probably go. Lyrically, TesseracT are rather abstract. I've read most of their lyrics and I'm not sure if the themes are about people, objects, theories, drug abuse, cubes within cubes with lines attached or just thinking too hard with your head on a microwave. From the song "Nascent": "As the mind evolves menaces are born. As the needles turn innocence is torn. Wake, wake, wake. They find all things tiring. In time they'll find a reason to hide their devotion. Desperate defiance, such a complex rage inside us all. This structured raw submission, such a killer free to lose control. I would really like to take it seriously but I guess its all open to interpretation and so on."

TesseracT are most definitely in their own little world, although two bands have a similar-ish sound: Vildhjarta and Monuments. However, Monuments are like TesseracT + Limp Bizkit (its weird and stupid and doesn't work unless you're 12, plus the vocalists are awful live) and Vildhjarta seems to have fallen off the face of the earth which is unfortunate (They're good because their vocalists have balls, unlike most djent bands). Without a reference point, its best to start with listening to the demo's, then the EP then this album. Its impressionable but also hard to follow, so you may find yourself incredibly confused and elated after listening to it. However, with all the time that's gone into it, it feels little bit anti-climactic in an odd sort of way. You'd have to listen to find out. Songs to look out for: Everything apart from "Perfection", its really annoying.

JCPrevenge
    BloodCellZ wrote: you are so dumb, "djent" is a picking style that has been around for quite some time, not a genre you idiot. It's like saying death metal is "tremolo"!
    Bebop is a genre. That was originally a sound.
    EpiExplorer
    Yes I know, but I dont want to keep explaining that in every review I do of the damned thing. Its much easier to call it a genre because 'progressive/technical metal' is incredibly ambiguous. Besides, the guitar tone sounds more like 'bah bow, bow da bam bam, ba doong doong'.
    Viridian44 wrote: Reviews like this are why I have to ask myself why I keep reading amateur reviews.
    Because thisis user based content? I dont follow some guideline to try and 'make it look nicer', I just type down what I hear and what I'm thinking about at the time. Raeg
    Viridian44
    Jsteele1408
    Jsteele1408
    EpiExplorer wrote: Well, thats just me, but when I saw them live last month, they were awful. Instrumentally competant (nothing amazing, TesseracT did a much better show) but they didn't anyone over with their 'rapping'.. couldn't hold their delivery and didn't do well as a double act either. The only thing people responded to was the last song because it had some discernable notes. Maybe like, 5 in the beginning. I think it was also because they haven't even released any official music yet and no one knew the songs. And to the second bit: I guess the next thing you'll have to say is 'UR GHEY' and 'MONUMENTZEZ IZ AWSIM'.
    Nope, excellent attempt at trolling, though. I wasn't referring specifically to the Monuments opinion, I was talking about how you always seem to present your opinions as fact, as if it's the only opinion to have, and everyone else is wrong. P.S: I'm not the world's biggest fan of Monuments or anything, I just think they deserve a bit more credit than you're giving them.
    m4ss3 m/
    I don't know what the f the reviewer is talking about but I think this is one of the best albums of the "djent-scene".
    Kwyjibo2006
    Saw them with protest the hero yesterday, with zero expectations since they were first on the bill. I bought the album the next day. F*ck yes.
    Prince603
    I would defiantly have to disagree with your opinion on Perfection. I find thats probably one of the most emotionally charged songs on the album.
    travislausch
    I used to hate Djent, but TesseracT changed my mind. Holy shit, this is good stuff. This may sound like blasphemy, but Dan Tompkins' poppier vocal style sits well with this style, kind of like an older 30 Seconds To Mars with more balls and atmosphere. And lucky for me, I got into this album without having been all over the demo and EP beforehand. I can see how anyone who's been a fan for a long time would be offended by an entire EP and some demo tracks occupying 90% of a debut album... though I can certainly see my debut album containing many of my best songs.
    Drummansam
    Awesome album! Love every song on it. I've grown to love Eden more than the rest for some reason. I've found it the most musical of the lot. Rhythmically I find deception the most satisfying! Especially the breakdown/middle 8 part haha. I've tabbed Deception too btw! Check it out on my profile and let me know what you think. Cheers guys!
    Symphonica
    X DogBert X wrote: TheAbsentOne wrote: Cannot wait to buy this. I had to choose between this and "Scurrilous" yesterday, as I only had 10 bucks.. I went with PTH. Love the album, but I'm so torn that I haven't heard this yet.. you'll be happy to hear if you dont already know that Protest and TesseracT are touring together right now
    Indeed, I'm seeing them on Sunday, on a stage I myself have performed on... **** yeah. TesseracT kicked major ass opening for Devin Townsend also, but Devin is the best showman. Can't wait for this show thought.
    simonjamestem
    TesseracT are my favourite band and the emotion and musical content portrayed in their albums is unreal. Every note is perfectly placed and concealing fate is literally unbelievable as a 6 part experience
    BloodCellZ
    ProgJazzMath
    Great review EpiExplorer. To everyone, "djent" is the style of picking and the way the chords are played. It's a massive palm mute that literally sounds like it is spelled. DJENTDJENTDJENT. It's a great example of an onomatopoeia.
    Lion_Slicer wrote: I hadn't been following this 'djent' business everyone's been salivating over--first time I even heard the word was on Ragtime Dandies AFTER I'd bought Periphery's debut album--so I'm not positive but this may sound fresher to me than someone who already has 8 years of djentxperience. Glad I waited on getting the EP if it's included on this album and wow I already hate myself for that portmanteau.
    Hey man, just a little fun fact of the day, Tesseract have been in the game for a LONG time. It is only recently that they released an EP and this album which has been highly anticipated for years. If I'm not mistaken, a guitarist from this band had a hand in creating this new sound with Bulb and others on a seven string forum website. They are pioneers. Meshuggah being the founding fathers though.
    Beyond_Insanity
    Plus theres no reason to be rude, go change your tampon then you come back and apologize... we'll be waiting >: )
    Beyond_Insanity
    It might as well be genre, crabcore is related a dance move yet is still considered a genre. Plus if enough bands relate to it, it becomes something that makes the band(s) identifiable hence a genre of music.
    Abacus11
    Some djent bands are impressive. It's technical for the sake of being technical... and that's sort of the point. For a much better example (IMO) check this out -
    .be
    X DogBert X
    Jotun7129
    Still don't have the album but I've checked out a few tracks and it seems pretty solid. And lol @ the acknowledgment of nu metal influence in Monuments so true.
    Disturbdkornkid
    I ordered the EP back in December at my local record store and it still hasn't come in. Definitely just gonna get this instead since it's included.
    Lion_Slicer
    TheAbsentOne
    EpiExplorer
    Jsteele1408 wrote: I completely disagree with your stance on Monuments. Their vocalists definitely don't suck live (at least not at recent shows) and I think their music is great. It's more Groove-based, which is a nice change of pace from all the Djent bands that think they have to be super technical all the time. Also, you always come off as a pretentious dick, and I think it's because you always feel the need to throw your opinion in everywhere. It's not necessary. The review would have been just fine without it, and as I mentioned, it makes you seem pretentious. Just a heads up, in case you care at all. (You probably don't.)