Perspective review by TesseracT

• Released: May 21, 2012
TesseracT: Perspective

This EP is what happens when a modern prog metal/djent band decides to do an acoustic EP (save for "Eden 2.0", which is their usual metallic style). The songs are all mellower versions of songs from TesseracT's debut album "One", released in 2011. They still hit hard though, but differently. They're much more eerie in acoustic form, almost more somber, due to the lack of electric guitar. Also on the album is a cover of Jeff Buckley's 1994 song "Dream Brother". It is a phenomenal cover that adds a whole new level of atmosphere to the original song. The musicianship throughout is very good, especially that of the rhythm section of Amos Williams (bass) and Jamie Postones (drums).

The lyrics are diverse, but mostly relate to the human psyche. "April" hints at the psyche of an abuser or a criminal, with lines like "I like to watch things burn down, soft and gently/I need to watch her abused 'til I'm satisfied". "Perfection" shows the thoughts of someone hopelessly in love with another but unable to do anything about it. The lyrics ask the person to "Give me just one second/Just to touch what I'll never own/Let me count those feelings/Of love that I will never share". The mood evoked by the music meshes well with the lyrical content. The lyrics are hard to interpret at times; "Eden" and "Origin" are difficult to interpret, though their themes are hinted at throughout. "Eden" appears to be about wasting the environment for our own self-gain, where as Mort. New vocalist Elliot Coleman (Of Man Not Machine, Zelliack, Haunted Shores, Sky Eats Airplane) does an excellent job conveying the lyrics, with a haunting, almost neo-soul tone to his voice.

Compared to their contemporaries' albums, TesseracT's "Perspective" stands out as unique due to the very prevalent acoustic elements. It has a much stronger atmospheric element than most of their peers, and it works very, very, well. If it were stolen (which is difficult, considering I bought it as a digital download), I'd gladly buy it again. Standout tracks: "April (Acoustic)", "Eden 2.0", "Dream Brother".