Practice What You Preach review by Testament

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
Testament: Practice What You Preach

Testament's third album, "Practice What You Preach", is the best thrash metal album of the late '80s! Guitar riffs by Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson are dark, loud and sound as good as they can be. "Practice What You Preach", "Perilous Nation", "Blessed In Contempt", "Greenhouse Effect" and "The Ballad" are one of Testament's strongest songs with one of Alex and Eric's catchiest riffs. This album is (nearly) 17 years old, but today it's considered one of Testament's best albums as well.

The lyrics from this album are or can be based on stories like life, society, hopes and struggles. Chuck Billy has a unique voice in metal and is quite similar to classic metal singers like Rob Halford (Judas Priest), James Hetfield (Metallica) and others to name a few. Great lyrics though. This album is just great, also for playing your guitar when you feel like rocking out!

"Practice What You Preach" is a great album and sounds as good as the last two albums "The Legacy" and "The New Order". Like I said before, this is one of the best thrash metal albums ever! Testament are also the best thrash metal bands in this country like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, etc. If I lost this CD somewhere, I would be happy to buy it again sometime or just download the album and burn it on a blank disc.

SOUTHofHEAVEN89
    TESTAMENT is on my top list of fav bands,,, along with slayer, death, and megadeth... testament isint one of the more popular bands but they sure know how to shred!!!
    idpmofo
    yao151
    idpmofo wrote: this was def. their most mainstream album. People saying this is their best are the same who would say Metallica's Black Album is their best. Some of Alex's best leads are on this albums, but his solos are not nearly as good as on Legacy or New Order(still very solid though). I didnt like the direction they went lyrically on this album. I wasnt a huge fan of the occult-theme, but this seemed forced. Great Album. just not as good as New Ordersd
    thank you for making that point. I have never heard any Testament stuff, but have been pursuaded to go and buy one of thier cd's If this is thier black album then im not sure if i will like it or not... maybe i will listen to some of thier other stuff first to see how big of a step down it is for them
    postmortem2006
    Skillet_Panhead
    postmortem2006 wrote: How was this their most mainstream? idpmofo obviously hasn't listened to Souls of Black or The Ritual, they were FAR more mainstream than this. Regardless, you can't go wrong with this album. Its absolutely ace.
    Thank YOU for making THAT point. "The Ritual" is Testament's "Black Album" and it's leagues above Metallica's in my opinion. Every album this band has ever recorded is worth every last cent. They may not have the same recognition as the 'Big Four', but Testament is still better than all of them in my opinion. Anyway, I don't like this review. It's too fanboyish to me...but I do agree that the album is one of the best Thrash albums ever, and definitely Testament's best to me. It's the album that got me into them.
    SoulSyphon
    I heard Sins of Omission, and I was immediately hooked on Testament. Bought the 1st 3 albums, and after that first listen, these guys became my favorite Thrash band surpassing Megadeth. Cant't wait for the next album!!!