The Gathering review by Testament

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
Testament: The Gathering

This and 'The Legacy' are the testament albums I have, and they both rule. This is their most different, but not in a bad way. How is it different, you ask? Well, think back, thrash veterans, to when Mr. Lombardo left Slayer. Dave here is on this album, and Testament's vocalist, Chuck billy is doing death metal vocals, combined with his unique snarl-kinda thing hes got goin on. This is heavier then older Testament, and faster too. Dave's drumming really picks up the pace of every song (not that its exactly 'Slow', per se), the double kick is mixed in real good. Some songs have kickass bass (riding the snake comes to mind, as does eyes of wrath) the song with the best riffage is definatly the opener, DNR, after a slow, orchestra intro. Very class album.

Can't say too much, there's nothing groundbreaking about them. Typical metal stuff. The apocolypse, dead people, etc. Some stuff is good, others is just 'meh'.

This is one of the two testament albums I have, and I love it. Not as good as 'The Legacy', but close. The drumming in it is unbelievable, and everything goes together to form a great thrash album. My favorite songs are DNR, 3 Days In Darkness, Legions Of The Dead, Allegiance, and Fall Of Sipldome. If I lost it, id probably just steal my brother's, as he as a burnt copy of it. But yeah, I'd buy it again. It's pretty good stuff.

evilvile
    Easily one of the heaviest albums in their catelog, Testament will blow you away on this album. P.S. Eric Petersen is a god at thrash!
    Tormedhammeren
    This is by far their best album, and personally, I think they beat the shit out of their contemporaries with this album. It's just perfect, from start to finish. For me, the lyrics don't matter very much. It's the music that matters. And this is exactly what I've been missing. Just when you start to loose faith in the music, something like this comes along and blows you away. Tracks like "Legions Of The Damned" will tear you apart. And still, having softer tracks too, the band manages to keep your adrenaline pumping until the end. This is a definite 10/10! Don't miss out on this very underrated band. THEY! ARE! GODS!
    el_guitarrist
    thi album is better then than their 1997 album Demonic, that sounds like death metal.Testament have had run from their classic thrash metal
    idpmofo
    Peterson finally fills in the gap left by Skolnick by getting one of the sickest rhythm duos in history of metal. Lombardo and DiGiorgio have few equals and i dont think anyone could say there are better. Its still hard to listen to "Testament" and not hear Alex. I dont think this album equals the music written on The New Order, but its definitely a great metal album. While Metallica and Megadeth put out cookie-cutter crap, Testament continues to stay true to the genre and rock like MFs.
    postmortem2006
    This album is ****ing stupidly heavy. Despite the rarity of solos (I can only count five) this album is certainly one of their better ones without Skolnick. Nothing on The Legacy though!
    Sparda93
    This is easily my favorite album by Testament, Down For Life just gives a pump like nothing ever has! This is what i like, Thrash metal with a taste of Death Metal, not Death mixed with Thrash! This album is about 80/20 Thrash/Death. An incredible mix of insanity!