The New Order review by Testament

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
Testament: The New Order

Testament's sound is actually quite mature on their second ever album, The New Order. Well not as fast as their debut, they know who they are, and they convey that well. The music itself, especially the intros, is eerie sometimes, giving the music character. The riffs are perfect thrash, and guitarist Alex Skolnick knows how to write good music. His work on "Musical Death (A Dirge)" is amazing. Their instrumental "Hypnosis" is eerie, interesting, and a good lead into a Testament classic, "Disciples of the Watch." This song as many good riffs. The music on this album to me is eerie, fast, and most importantly, aggressive. The only thing that holds the song back is a lack of hooks; there aren't really much catchy parts.

I really have to give Chuck Billy (lead vocals) props for some of these lyrics. While he did not write them all, he did write a lot of them. The lyrics are well thought out, and Billy's voice adds a nice touch to them. He is greatly inspired by James Hetfield, although he isn't a rip off; he is his own person. The riffs seems to fit hand-in-hand with the vocals. He could be better, but he is still great.

If you love Exodus, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Ulysses Siren, or any '80s thrash, this is a great album to buy. "The Preacher," "Disciples of the Watch," "Trial By Fire," "Nobody's Fault," and the closing instrumental "Musical Death (A Dirge)" are all standout tracks. This album is a little bit of a "grower" but you will love it. The riffs, vocals, lyrics, and just plain skill of Testament make "The New Order" amazing. Go out and buy it!

Sanitarium91
    I bought this last year and it's great, but I'm not sure if it is as great as The Legacy. Well actually I can't decide which one's better, they're both great.
    idpmofo
    lyrics/vocals are on par with the music written, Everything clicks and this album is almost perfect. With the likes of Rust In Peace, this is a Top 5 Metal Album of AllTime. What makes this album great are not the highlights; its the other tracks. A Day Of Reckoning is probably the least mentioned track among fans and its great. For a metal guitarist, this album is LOADED with everything you could want.
    AvernusAblaze
    i just bought this album, its really good, they're lead guitar work is awesome, certainly adding this to my favourite thrash albums!
    SoulSyphon
    This album is one of the top 3 reasons I like Testament better than the Big 4. The other 2 reasons are The Legacy and Practice What You Preach.