I Am review by Texas in July

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Texas in July: I Am

TIJ's debut album definitely hits the spot in the metalcore world. Everything is pretty much on par instrumentation-wise. The leads are great, and the drummer Adam Gray, kills. He is definitely one of the greatest drummers in the metal world. Aside from instrumentation, the vocalist, Alex Good, seems to have most of the struggle on his shoulders. I mean, I just look at it as to the way they play their music. He is the only one with the microphone at all times. There is no backing vocals, no clean vocalist, nothing. I feel as if Adam Gray's impressive drumming skills kind of override Alex's vocals. Needless to say, I like the way he yells, but I still am not quite seeing perfectiveness here in the way he does it. I feel like the drummer is playing so quick that it almost seems like the vocalist is rushing himself to spit the lyrics out (reason why I can barely understand what he's saying half the time).

In "Elements" some of the lyrics go like this, "Our appetite for passion could raise the dead alone. Nothing can stop our hearts from where they flow, and one day your life will flash before your own eyes, and you don't want to be left wondering why." In "Father Time" I was also impressed by these lyrics, "The taste of bitter coffee fills my lungs sick, I have nothing to bare but this hole in my chest, And a page full of words that could fill the Atlantic. My sleeping eye can hardly see the words, Painted across these crippled stars, From the endless skies they are buried behind, (x2) Buried behind." Other than that, other songs tell a somewhat different story, but nothing too impressive for me.

These guys should probably look up to bands like August Burns Red, For Today, Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, and All That Remains, and see how they do things. I look at these guys and think that they do have a lot of potential, but they just have to work on a few things first. The lyrics are not bad, but they could be better. I want Alex Good to kill it on their next album, which will actually be their 3rd full-length album. Overall, solid effort to TIJ.

EpiExplorer
    He is definitely one of the greatest drummers in the metal world
    Yeah, your world maybe. Look up Dirk Verbeuren.