Phenotype review by Textures

• Released: Feb 5, 2016
Textures: Phenotype

After a five year long gap since the revamped sound of "Dualism," Textures are back with their fifth full-length release. Since releasing "Dualism," "Phenotype" sees the band with a new line up and what feels like a refreshed and innovative sound. For some background, consider how the current djent scene began and most would say "Meshuggah, herp derp." While they certainly had a big hand in things, most forget the influence of bands like SikTh and The Dillinger Escape Plan. However, there's not much love for the earliest of early adopters.

Along with bands like Sybreed and to a more subtle extent Gojira, Textures were a metalcore band using massive melodic passages and complex polymetric/rhythmic sections that in 2003 (when their first album "Polars" was released), there was very little around the same time that had a similar sound. The effect was interesting but not well publicised. Skip to 2006 and then "Drawing Circles" comes along. That album is what could be considered the first actual djent album. While not as complex as the stuff that comes out these days 10 years later (yeah, it's been that long), "Drawing Circles" was still a landmark.

Skipping through the even better "Silhouettes" and the new era of "Dualism," "Phenotype" is perhaps the band most aggressive, expressive and refined album to date. Opening up with the uncharacteristically explosive "Oceans Collide," already this album feels like a bubbling pit of ideas just waiting to be unleashed. While sticking true to the more complex, syncopated riffs as per usual, there's also much more focus on the layering and atmospheric keyboard elements that give the band their namesake.

YouTube preview picture

The effect is that each song feels like it's own little narrative with a solid definition of beginning, middle and end. Tracks like "Illuminate the Trail" and "Shaping a Single Grain of Sand" have so much of their own personal character, from "Illuminate..." multiple Devin Townsend-esque guitar solos (which should be pointed out, are a rarity for the band, but are here thanks to the inclusion of guitarist Joe Tal) to "Shaping..." having a darker, heavier, even extreme edge to it's tech-deathy ambition.

But still keeping true to their previous albums, there are moments of instrumental beauty as well. "Meander" evokes a tribal Gojira-like build up for the challenging listen of "Erosion" while "Zman" is almost purely a subdued, cinematic piano piece that gives the albums ending a properly emotive climax. There's still some grounded pieces, such as "New Horizons": a song that is not that complex, mostly in half time but has the grand and sweeping chorus sections that were not as emphasised on previous albums.

This album really builds upon the older releases but comes up with so much energy that it just be the bands best yet. On top of that, the songs in general just so have so much more appeal than before. The only thing sadly lacking is another song like "Awake" but y'know, I personally don't think anyone could write another song like that again.

Textures has always been noted for how big a part the vocals play in the bands sound. While firmly grounded in metalcore roots, the previous vocalist Eric Kalsbeek and current vocalist Daniel de Jongh are very distinctive in the djent scene. This is partially because of their more throatier harsh vocal techniques but also because they sing in a more mid-range pitch compared to the majority of the djent scene having tenor vocalists.

De Jongh is sounding at his best on this album, having put in the most detailed vocal lines textures has worked with on this release. Rapidly switching between different styles of harsh and clean vocals is one of his talents and it's one that has a fascinating effect on the riff dynamics. It kind of causes each new riff to have it's own set of peaks and troughs, giving each section much more detail than is immediately apparent. (If you want de Jongh at his craziest, I'd recommend "Deranged Headtrip" by his previous band Cilice.)

Lyrically, Textures have always worked in philosophical, existential themes, revolving around the self or the human condition. Prime examples from previous works include "Reaching Home" and the epic "To Erase a Lifetime." "Phenotype" has a bit more diversity going on, with the themes moving to a less self-centric base and to a more impersonal, "this applies to everyone" approach. Key example is "New Horizons," a song which is basically how one could imagine the scientific method having its own political voice:

"We're to adjust our behaviour
I can feel there is something, someway, somehow
That can help disestablish this hierarchy

Finding a way to welcome new times
The fear of questions fades

We are standing on the verge of a new horizon
Welcome the new day."

YouTube preview picture

The concept of "Phenotype" also appears to be linked to "Dualism" and the next planned album "Genotype," although how it all ties together should be explained in the next release.

Overall, the lyrics work in effect, as a lot of the lyrics bend around the vocal hooks pretty well. Sometimes, however, the themes can come across as vague or even confusingly wistful but that's a minor gripe.

This album feels like a new starting point for Textures. As one of the older prog-metalcore bands, their evolution has been a strong one and "Phenotype" is perhaps the most gripping of the musical mutations.

Alongside more atmospherics, more developed melodic ideas and a more aggressive edge, "Phenotype" has these little wink-and-nudge details as well. For instance, the ending of "Erosion" transitions perfectly into "Burning the Midnight Oil" from "Dualism" while the music video for "Shaping a Grain of Sand" also sets the beginning for the video of "Reaching Home." It's just interesting to have album concepts interlink in such a way.

Songs to look out for: "Shaping a Grain of Sand," "Illuminate the Trail," "Erosion," "Zman," "Timeless."

Redfinton22
    Seriously the best album I've heard since the new BTBAM last year. Silhouettes is untouchable in my mind but this album comes damn close.
    Peres.T.Peanut
    This album is pretty fucking good. Not sure if I like it better than Dualism but its probably better. Nice review, thanks.
    Mosseljongen
    Saw them live the day before yesterday and they kicked ass. They played excellent, they really know what they are doing. Absolutely great album.
    travislausch
    That hasn't stopped me from trying to write an entire album's worth of songs like that! None of them are nearly as good as "Awake" though... I almost got that kind of vibe from "New Horizons", but yeah, "Awake" is practically untouchable. I can't wait to give this album a spin, nonetheless!
    godhelpus
    Been waiting for an album that sounds just like this to go with the thousands of other albums that sound just like this.
    RocknRollRay
    just from that song alone, the drummer single handedly saved that song with the thrash drums. it was getting too hardcore/metalcore for me then bam, straight out aggression. they seem to be all over the place which is okay i guess considering im a btbam fan, but even btbam has reoccurring hooks in their songs. you can tell theres a lot of influences in this band, in a couple more albums they should find their own voice. ill definitely check out their album, for now 7/10. i guess new horizons has a clearer statement, but the vocals are kinda tacky, the one thing i absolutely hate about hardcore bands, they dont know when to shut up and let the bass or guitars leave their mark. i mean they have keys for gods sake, they couldnt have added some little melodies or harmonies in there just for fun? sometimes its the vocalist that completely ruins the band for me. last song, pretty good, good tempo, good key work, solid guitar solo, solid drums. i wish the vocalist would just shut up for like 10 seconds. seriously he's not devin townsend, we dont need to listen to him constantly. he should take a tip from katatonia and choose his vocal parts carefully and tastefully. overall not an amazing band but pretty good considering what else is coming out of nuclear blast.
    travislausch
    "they seem to be all over the place which is okay i guess considering im a btbam fan, but even btbam has reoccurring hooks in their songs" That's weird, considering that out of all the "djenty" sort of bands (is "proto-djent" a thing? If so, this band is it.), I'd say these guys had one of the more coherent and cohesive sounds.
    Fatewhip
    Not really sure where you got the "technical death metal" label from. They're a unique band, but I would still call them metalcore (judging by the three songs in the videos).
    EpiExplorer
    Not my choice to do so. I will stand by my 'Shaping a Single Grain of Sand' description because that's the exception on this album but I don't personally set the genre/genres.
    travislausch
    If we're gonna get into genre specifics, I'd almost go as far as to say there's definitely a thrash metal influence in SaSGoS's latter half. Fuck trying to label it, though. It's just a good fucking track and every time that thrashy riff kicks in, I want to start moshing in my living room.